1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

New guy

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by FlyMarines09, Dec 3, 2008.

  1. I really want to get into hardscapes in the next few months. Any advice for a new guy? I don't have much experience, are there classes? I don't want to get over my head, but this is a perfect side of the business, and it seems more appealing to me and my new company

    Any and all suggestions are appreciated
  2. btammo

    btammo LawnSite Member
    Posts: 98

  3. PatriotLandscape

    PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA
    Posts: 1,209

    It's not a side business by any means.

    Talk to a vendor. build something at your house or your mom's depending on where you live.

    get icpi and ncma certified to learn the engineering on how they need to be built.
  4. NC Greenscaper

    NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 446

  5. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice!
  6. NC Greenscaper

    NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 446

    Semper Fi, Devil Dog
  7. OORAH Semer Fi. Former Marine, NC?
  8. Okay, so can one of you guys please explain to me a couple things about ICPI and NCMA? Basically, they're classes and seminars. If I become a member, will I get free access to technical publications, and such for building? Are there written exams for certification? Obviously I'm a little confused,

  9. Dreams To Designs

    Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,406

    Vince, both the ICPI & NCMA are organizations that research, educate and set standards for paver(ICPI) & retaining wall(NCMA) installations.


    They both offer education and a written exam to give you a certificate of completion. Unfortunately what you will learn in the classroom and from the exam will only be a small part of the information you need to install pavers, slabs and SRW's. Every situation and location will involve a unique set of problems you must resolve. The certificates will say that you have accomplished a basic seminar, and you can further your education through advanced and task specific seminars or programs.

    An understanding of soils, drainage and a basic knowledge of pavers and SRW's is essential to getting the most out of the basic courses. Most of the drainage manufacturers also offer training with the use of their products and will give you a basic understanding of soils and water movement through them. This is essential information to build sustainable paver and SRW installations.


Share This Page