new guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dirtbikernas, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dirtbikernas

dirtbikernas LawnSite Member

Hey yall whats up. I am new to this site and I finally found out how helpful this website is. I have a 36 inch Exmark and I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a 60 inch lazer z before next season. I now mow around 20 residential homes and I want to get bigger. I have a lot of planning to do to get newer equipment but I was just wondering if I should go ahead and buy the lazer z.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

They don't get cheaper with time, go for it. Just make sure to hustle up some more jobs to pay for it and make it worth having.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the physical layout of the lawns you're doing and are going to be doing in the way of new clients.

If the lawns are mostly wide open, go for it.

If the lawns are, gated, have lots of trees,
    flower beds, other obstacles to maneuver around, might want to think twice about investing in a big mower.

Many times, on residentials, a larger mower will equal a lot more trimming time.

4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

If you do have a lot of open area to mow and you have alot of adjoining lawns to cut, i'd go ahead and get one to save you some time. Some distributors are offering deals now to get rid of the mowers that didn't get sold. They sure don't want them to stay in their floors and loose money on them. If they are not offering any deals, offer them one yourself! Also you may try www.ebay.com. If ou are itching to spend money and increase profits, if you don't t already have an aerator or a spreader, you might consider those options. my .02

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree with Rustic on this one. It depends on the layout and the size of the lawns. That seems like a big jump from a 32" to a 60". Have you ever thought about a 48" or 52"? It might save you some money and you still have a larger mower to work with.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Thing is , with me at least, I don't see the need for a 48" or so with a 36 already. If the yards are big enough for a 48", chances are a 60" will do just fine. I can knock out some yards with my 36", but a 60"+ would do for my larger yards. I'd get a 36", then a 60", then maybe a 48" later if the need was still there. If you have, or plan on getting some large accounts, I'd say get the big one.

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why not save somemoney and just get a bigger WB? I use a 52 WB and my brother uses a 60z and I blow him away on our lawns.There not the biggest of lawns but not the smallest.

8. dirtbikernas

dirtbikernas LawnSite Member

Thanks yall for you imput.

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a 36" WB then It'd make sense to get a 52" Z- they take the same size blades (18"). That was the primary factor for me when I decided to do it. Still have my 36" Snapper WB. Got a 52" Wright Stander after about 9 months of starting this business.

There is no doubt that Z's will make you more productive. They are easier on you physically, enjoyable to drive and allow close work that WB don't.

Try to get a 6 months no pay deal from a finance co. Then transfer the balance to another source if you havn't payed it off by then.

Cordially,
    Sheppard