1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New guys and gals, here's some bidding advise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nobagger, Mar 22, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You will soon see "lowballer, scrub" and possibly more names like this. In order to be successfull you need to know what your doing in all aspects of your business not just mowing a straight line. Know what you need to make per hour in order to make a profit not just guess, guessing is where you get into trouble. But I just posted a reply and here is the advise I gave him....Bid what you need to bid in order to make a decent profit, it doesnt matter what the "other guys" are bidding. I/we cant help the fact that XYZ Lawn care has a 1 million dollar overhead and they need to charge 75/hr for mowing and I am at 35/hr. Again, know your whole business, bid accordingly, have fun!
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

but $35/hr is close to what i was making at the town after you factor in retirment, medical, holidays, etc etc. why would gamble the headache and possible failure to make 4 or 5 bucks an hour more??? do you pay for medical insurance? bus insurance? fuel?? that truck and plow had to of cost quite a bit. $35/hr??
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

No,No,No, that was just a hypothetical dollard figure. But yes I do pay taxes,insurance...no medical. The whole point was bid what you need to bid, assuming you know what you have to make per hour and not guess.