New Guys can never weed Wack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HHlandscaping, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still trying to perfect it but it's so much less awkward then trimming righty and you don't trip over stuff, lol. I just wish I had the control trimming lefty that I do righty....some things I just can't do lefty...but for trimming along a wooded border or something I'm fine.

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

its an advantage for trimming

you can walk forward without spraying clippings in beds or on concrete

3. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Ill agree with you on that one wholeheartedly.

4. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

but i was never able to do it comfortably

5. Darryl G

Because of the direction of rotation of the head on a straight shaft trimmer (counter clockwise) you need to trim counter clockwise or right to left (in most cases anyway). To do that right handed you either need to cross your arms or walk sort of sideways/backwards. If you hold it lefty (left hand on the throttle) you can walk forward in a more natural position.

6. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

or you can walk to the right and swing your arm right to left to make it pull it away ......you take your step while your head is up once your foot gets planted you sweep it from the right to left side then take another step or 2 and sweep again . its way easier to remember dont swing untill your foot is down then it is the train left handed lol i love the guys who go about it the hard way

7. Darryl G

What kind of trimmers are you using that you have to use a strap? Bike handlebar ones? That's the only kind I know of that you have to use a strap for.

8. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a strap with my trimmer.

It's hanging on the wall of my garage with all my other straps- pretty much the only clean lawn equipment i have lol

9. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surgical walking backwards, just gotta train more forwards. pic is from "righty"

PS- lawn only account, so no greif about weeds (pulled a couple to take pic lol)

mahanti edge.jpg

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

yes back in 80s anything with power was a bike handlebar kind
    You get started with 1 kind its hard try something different
    Mostly ran stihl few years ran Husq now back to stihl
    over years think I owned 11 stihls and 5 Husq since 1985

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.