New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC, Feb 22, 2007.

1. coastalscapes

coastalscapes LawnSite Member

Can anyone please let me know what the going rate for landscapers in the NH area are? laborers, installers, foreman, etc? and are you paying them as subs or employees? What have you found to be the easiest as a business owner? Thanks.

2. KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC

KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Most places hire landscapers for as little as $8 an hour to $12 an hour starting depending on expierience, and that covers laborers, crew leaders, and installers within that range. Alot of companys also have a salary cap on laborers of $15 an hour.
    I have someone who works for me now, he is treated as a "sub". FOr this reason i don't have to carry workers compensation on him, his taxes are taken care of by him, etc. It works out pretty good for me this way. As I expand in the next few years and I hire 2-3 people I will then turn them into employees. The cost on workers comp for 1 person is crazy and the more people you have the easier it is to justify the cost.

3. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Jason
    Keep in mind that in the eyes of the IRS,,,he is not a sub if
    he uses your equipment
    Works buy your schedule
    and doesn't have the ability to come and go.
    He can collect unemployment if he so desires and you will be responsible for
    the appropriate withholdings.
    Been there, done that
    Alan

4. A-Cut-ABOVE

A-Cut-ABOVE LawnSite Senior Member

I start most of my guys at $10 and up depending on experience. Some other laborers less than $10. weeding and stuff like that. I put my fulltime employees on the books and pay taxes on them and carry all nessasary insurance. I think its better that way just incase an employee does something stupid (car accident, hits a house with a mower) or something like that. It is covered. They also get a W-2 at the end of the yr. And the payroll company takes care of paying all taxes to state and goverment as fas as the workers are concerned. the cost for the payroll company is small compared to the hassle it saves me. They call me and I just need to give them each employees hours and a check gets sent to me in the mail for each one. I just sign it and pass it on to them on payday. No worries...

5. coastalscapes

Thanks for the input! I think I am going to check into ADP, and Paychecks, tomorrow, maybe they can give me the breakdown per dollar of what an employee will cost. My insurance company is great and is looking into increased liability and Workman's comp.

I have always worked alone efficiently. I think that hiring someone will allow me to take on more lawns, and focus more on the business end year round.

Any more input is great. Hiring someone is something that I have been thinking about long and hard.

6. A-Cut-ABOVE

I use paychex. havent had any problems in 2 yrs with them. they also will quote you insurance. comp and liability. if you want i can give you my contacts info....

7. coastalscapes

That would be great if you would PM that to me, I had been referred to them by my insurance agent as well. Do you mind if I ask what a $10 an hour emplyee costs you per hour after taxes? and then with comp? Thanks!

Also. Taylor rental is selling a walk behind de-thatcher for $800 I bet that I could get him down to atleast 6 if anyone is interested? let me know, and I will stop by there in the morning. (It's a blue bird)

8. KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC

KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Alan
    Actually I sub him off another company. Kinda complicated to explain. I have a contract with them for him. They pay his hourly wage for the hours i mail them. He is technically an employee through them. Any unemployment is paid for by them as well as any workers comp. They then bill me $2 more per hour to cover payroll costs, workers comp, etc. Then at the end of the month they bill me for his payroll.

9. A-Cut-ABOVE

looking at one of my guys from last yr..on 39 hrs @ 10.00 = $390.00 he brought home after taxes was $355.58. on the paper work they lump all the employer taxes together. but i would say it would be less than $50.per pay period for that one employee for your company to pay taxes on him.
    With the comp .im really not sure right now. I would have to do some digging from last yr, and figure that out.
    The # for them is 603-471-2590. And just talk to the operator and they should be able to help you.
    Have you tried Craigslist for a dump truck? there are a few on there. search the different states around here.

10. coastalscapes

Thanks, I appreciate that more than you know. I am just trying to figure my costs before promising a rewarding part time job to someone. I was figuring on a 16hrs + a week position.