1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC, Feb 22, 2007.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh busy picked uped two more lawns to mow in sandborton- 400 bucks worth sweet. Weather sucks though you busy???

Ya I get a lot of project offers, actually more projects than anything. They seem to range frrom small Allen block walls to lawn installs and plantings. Some projects i get offered take more time than i can allow for or are wanted to be done with a almost impossible deadline.
    From what I see there has been no lack of projects or $ being spent. Customers seem a little hesitant to spend the $ however they still end up doing it. I actually spend 3-4 days a week on projects and only 1 day a week mowing so most of the income for my business is coming in through installs.
  3. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

most of my business is through installs/maintenace so far, though i'd like to have 2-3 days of mowing a week. i'm finding it hard to find mowing customers though.
  4. A-Cut-ABOVE

A-Cut-ABOVE LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got more mowing than I want and not enough projects. Ive been giving some of them away unless they are something I can squeeze into my route.

Ya seems like it's all of one and not an equal amount of projects and mowing.
  6. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

We got a couple new small mowing accounts, one big mulch/cleanup project and the current customers are running up the "to-do" list with multitudes of minor things, but we're looking to do a handful of decent projects and the first year we have the time AND resources is the first year we don't have random calls out of the blue... Usually this time of year I'm hiding from the phone.
    There's a slew of startup LCOs, and I'm seeing a lot of rigs from several towns over lately around here but I haven't even seen anyone in particular advertizing...The bigger guys have name recognition - they don't even seem to bother advertizing except for Community Lawn Care: he's doing "the works".
    Seems like we got more attention with our nasty old beater trucks with no company signs (D.O.T. fixed the signs issue last year, and the old trucks finally had to go - there's only so much duct tape can do ;-))

I guess we need to move beyond word of mouth, well lettered trucks, the local weekly paper block ad and the community phone book: I'm thrashing around trying to decide the best form of advertising for our weird local economy. Getting a website up is a must, but along with that, what? We're aiming for the higher-end accounts - trying to get away from the rags that won't spend a red cent on the yard, then whine that it looks awful. Our local paper likes to feature local businesses in the community section, but I can't even think of a "hook" or point to make with one of those...

hmmmmm (brainstorming in progress)....
  7. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with lrs. it's hard to break into the high end customers.

it seems it's the $200 jobs that eat the profit out of you.. not enough work for a full days work (maybe you can fit other stuff in), not enough money after giving the estimate, getting supplies, etc...and then those customers don't want anything else. i would really like to get some high end 10-grand-a-year type of customers to make everything seem worth while:rolleyes: :confused:
  8. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

KEN----giving some away??? What? I have'nt seen any of them?:laugh:
  9. A-Cut-ABOVE

A-Cut-ABOVE LawnSite Senior Member

Igave 1 to jason, another 1 to another guy and 2 leads to another guy. I guess that puts you next in line. anything I get out that way is yiours. Hows things going?

10. Deep Roots

Deep Roots LawnSite Member

Hey Jason,

How are things looking for the job in Concord this week? I'll give you a call later to check, but if you get a chance, let me know when you think that will be ready.