New Head Gasket or know.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I pulled the head on my Kaw 12.5, I want to know if I NEED, to replace the gasket. I know that anytime you pull the head you are supposed to replace the gasket. My question is if I do not see any leaks or anything, do I need to replace the gasket. Not that I would be able to see a leak either. Just currious, I know it is not that big of deal to replace, just interested.

Thanks
    Jay

2. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

Purists insist on replacing them, but realistically I reuse them if
    they are intact.
    Fish

3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I always replace gaskets on anything I take apart. I just feel better doing it . I dont no what is right or what is wrong in this situation but that is what I do.

I guess Im a purist:)

4. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda agree with Fish. If it looks OK, then I don't replace it. But what do I know! I could be wrong, and the engine could blow the head gasket!!:alien:

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've broken down thousands of engines and only replace the gaskets (head or otherwise) if there's a visible problem or symptom that is directly related. If you got the gasket or can get it easily enough, replace it. Otherwise, if it looks good don't sweat it. Remember to tighten the head bolts back down in the right pattern though. Good luck.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You guys are making me feel much more comfortable.

Jason, what kind of life did you see with those 12.5 Kaw's? Mine is running very strong with almost 1300 hours. The cylinder looked good, I hope she lasts another 1300.

Thanks fellas
    Jay

7. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

While I haven't pulled hundreds of heads on small engines, I have pulled a few. If I have a gasket (planned ahead, which rarely happens) I change them. If not and the problem is not gasket related and I didn't damage it removing the head, I just re-use it. No problems so far.;)

8. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

iHAVE BEEN TOLD BY SMALL ENGINE MECHANICS THAT YOU ARE SUSPOSED TO REPLACE THEM .:)

9. CPLLTT

CPLLTT LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

To do it right, you should replace them. Once a head gasket gets torqued down it compresses, and it is likely not to reseal again. But, in a pinch, you can probably get away with reusing it.

10. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

To put it this way, it's better to be safe than sorry!:) :)