New Head Gasket or know.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I certainly appreciate all of your comments fellas. What would be the ramifications if the gasket blows? I am fairly ignorant, but just figured on a mess, but not expensive damage. Am I wrong?

Thanks much
  2. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

If your head gasket failed but the engine kept running, and you
    kept on running it, it could do irreparable damage. It is not likely,
    but possible.
  3. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

If the head gasket blew on a piece of equipment I was usin', I would know for sure! I'm real careful. Possibly too careful!:)
  4. ArboristSite

ArboristSite LawnSite Member

If I was at all unsure, they are so cheap, I would go ahead and replace it. Those 12.5 Kawi's blow gaskets commonly. Can I ask what you were doing in there in the first place? If you are having trouble with the head gasket...the rest of the stuff you will find in the head will really give you trouble. I am just bringing this up cause if you don't know, don't touch. That area, if messed with, can cost much more than a gasket. You may have just asked a general question, but couldn't tell if it went deeper than I read. So I threw in a little extra. Good luck with it.
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Sure am glad you wrote, I had never heard of your site before. Looks like a super one. I will be spending some time there now, as I do some tree work, and enjoy it very much.

Thanks for you input as well.

I pulled the head because I was checking to see if my timeing was off, as my mower would not start. I had replaced a sump seal, and the crankshaft rotated, throwing the timeing off. So when I found the timing off, I tightened down the head, then reset the timing and put the beast back together again. I did not think about replacing the gasket. I have maybe 2 hours run time on her without having replaced it. I just thought that if it did not have trouble by now, maybe it was fine, and there would be no need to pull the head again.

Hope to see you around.

6. ArboristSite

ArboristSite LawnSite Member

Good, looks like you have her undercontrol.