New heat reflecting windows / lawns / dry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Just this year, I became aware of damage to turf from relected light or heat from the new style of windows that are used in our area.

We have a large volume of new homes, and window upgrade is common.

Now that I have been paying closer attention, I've noticed several lawn areas that show the damage - often straight sided dry areas.

How prevalent is this in other areas? And do you combat it?

Or do you modify the design or add a tree for shade?

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

increase the water

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Weed whip a rock thru it, plywood doesn't reflect light.

Sorry for being a smart -----.

I have not seen this problem but as was said increase water may help a little.

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

throw a rock through a window with the trimmer like this?

pools broken window.jpg

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple years ago I noticed a spot in a neighbors yard and asked him if he spilled gas on that spot. He then showed me that one of his upstairs windows reflected right to that area. A tree would be the only solution I could think of, but make sure the tree you select can take the heat.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mow lawns, so my involvement with this will be from a design, planting or re-design angle.

Its likely that I've seen dozens of these tan areas, but never made the "link" before.

But as soon as it was pointed out, it was obvious.

While consulting in preparation for a design blueprint, in one yard, I stood between the window and the tan spot - it was impressive how much heat I felt on the skin of my arms and face.

I realized that I had a "new animal" to deal with, especially on high-profile properties.

It appears that positioning of trees will be one of the more important remedies.