1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New heat tolerant bluegrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn and stump, Aug 28, 2006.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

Has anybody used the Thermal Blue seed from Scotts?
    It sounds too good to be true, I need some un-biased info.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It is to good to be true. It is a blue/turf type tall fescue blend. The TTTF is very drought tolerant.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I used it last Fall on one lawn at the request of the customer.

Thermal Blue is 90% Tall Fescue and 10% HT Bluegrass. This was a very rough Summer on Fescue and the Thermal Blue mix held up moderately well considering the conditions. It has developed some brown patch this year as you would expect, but about 90% of the turf has survived. It was not sprayed with any preventative fungicides, and the last application of Nitrogen was in April.

The challenge in managing this turf involves Nitrogen. I normally do not apply Nitrogen to the Fescue during Summer months, however the Bluegrass actually needs a moderate amount. What is good for one is bad for the other, so I really do not know the answer to it yet.

Keep in mind this mix was designed for the South where Fescue has to be overseeded every year. That was the reason for introducing 10% HT Bluegrass which spreads by rhizomes.
  4. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

But it isn't Thermal Blue. It's called Reveille and it was released by Texas A&M a few years ago. We have used it around the Dallas area with good success, even in full sun. It's not for poorly drained soils though!