New Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Sep 28, 2004.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

Today i went to my dealer to get my blades sharpened and i decided to buy a new set of hedge clippers. I wanted to spend $250-300 and i looked at the stihl, echo and redmax clippers. the redmax and echo looked alittle cheezy and the sthil HS-45 looked to be the best of the three. i was about to but them for $289 which probaly would have been $280-270 with my discount. the stihl also had a two year warranty. well i left to go check another dealer i never dealt with and he ended up selling me tanaka clippers for $350 after tax. they have a 24" bar like the stihl but a smaller motor they also came with only a one year warranty. did i make the right decision? has anyone dealt with tanaka equipment. it seems nice and has some nice features but i spent $50 more so im hoping i made the right choice. ;)
  2. rookiemower

3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Based on just what you have written in your post I would say that it was a bad decision for several reasons.
    First you just went in for a sharpening and ended up unloading $350.00
    Second you dropped $70.00 to $80.00 more dollars based on your discount
    Third you recieved one less year on the warranty
    Fourth you went with someone you had not dealt with rather than the one that it sounds like you may have built a relationship with.
  4. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I just realized I may have misunderstood one aspect of your post. Did you go in to get your mower blades or your hedge trimmer blades sharpened. If it was the mower blades then disregard point number one on my first post.
  5. Flat Top Lawn

Flat Top Lawn LawnSite Member

It was your money. If you feel like you got a good deal then I believe you did. I use the Sthil HS 80. I really like how the handle swivels to allow the operator more comfort while cutting. The only down side to my trimmer is the weight. IT WILL MAKE A MAN OUT OF A BOY.
  6. rookiemower

so no one uses tanaka equipment ;)
  7. tonytanaka

tonytanaka LawnSite Member

Both Tanaka and Stihl have a one-year warranty for COMMERCIAL USE and two-year for homeowners.

You definately got the better machine AND everyone knows Tanaka makes the best hedge trimmers - Dealers know.
  8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We run Tanaka String trimmers, I would give them a 8 on a 1 to 10. I heard their back pack blowers are not the best. Can't say about the hedge trimmer. But our Echo smokes too much.
  9. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I had a Tanaka hedger for 4 years until it blew up, got a stihl for a replacement, (changed because couldn't keep the gas cap from leaking). Tanaka would cut stuff the stihl can't , but the stihl gives a better cut.
  10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i had tanaka once, very hard to get parts for and the most expensive out there, sitched all equit. to redmax 8 years ago and never looked back, we now own 35+ peices of redmax. tony