New Help Lasted One Day!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Full throttle lawn care, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Can you believe this crap. He worked for me yesterday for 7.5hrs and today I pick him up and after the first job he says he's not cut out for doing this kind of work. I said OK and dropped him off at the first gas station I passed a good 20miles from his home. Whats up with these kids now days they think work is an option. Alright I feel better.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe he just can't run Full Throttle like you can.
    People just don't realize just how hard this work can be..tell they try it.Maybe 1 out of 10 can pull their weight and keep up.

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I made a 50 year old man walk home 1 time. 20+ miles from his house. And he was my uncle. kept telling me i better quit cutting and take him home. we only had 3 yards left to do that day and he wanted to make happy hour. the very next week he pulled the same crap. I told him to hit the ray ray trail, you blazed it, you should know it.
    By the way, his middle name was ray. never took him with me again.
    I had a 20 year old boy hide in the woods 1 time. i went to pick him up and his grandmother had to walk through the woods looking for him. another left a note on the water cooler, said he could not handle it any more.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got my neighbors 18 year old kid working for me. This kid is so SLOW!!!!!!!!! His father (very good friend, works on our trucks) asked me to hire him and straighten his ass out. He likes cutting grass a lot more than manual labor. He hates mulch with a passion. Takes me 3 times to explain anything to him. Oh well hopefully he will make it at least till mid summer. I am getting so tired of guys working for like a week and quiting. I went threw 12 highschool students last year.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I guess some of em just dont understand the intensity of this line of work. tree work is worse though, since when you're out in the heat dragging 200 pounds of brush behind ya to a chipper, it can get kinda hellish.

some young guys are GREAT workers, but many just suck cause they're accustomed to sitting in front of the TV playing video games all day.

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 20 yr old working for me now. Very slow, but he does good work. just wish he was a bit faster.

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

its hard to find good help ,when i loose a guy and think of having to place an ad for employment and take the time to interveiw every moron in a 20 mile radius,i think i would rather poke my damn eye out with a rusty spoon:hammerhead:

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

haha one of the first jobs i ever did on my own was a two acre yard that had to be hand raked and we had to hand shake it. it took me around 6 days and 11 people. none lasted for more than 2 days. some i fired some quit. i ended up doing the last two days solo.....alot like these days

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Congratulations he showed up and worked the full day. I think many of you put too much emphasis on going fast. No one is going to work as hard or fast for you as you do. If they do they are probably on something. If a guy shows up every day on time, works consistently through the day, makes fewer mistakes day by day you can make money off them. The last "fast" guy I had I fired 2-3 months ago and I'm still paying for his mistakes. Broken window from weed-eating, Dead patio tree from cutting poly lines. Not enough to be evident just enough to keep the ground saturated and kill the 15-Gal Hibiscus tree he planted in record time. Not only did I have to replace the tree but remove about 1/2yard of mud, amened the remaining mud, replace the poly line and replant 6 other shrubs in the area. Then just a couple of wheelbarrows of granite to freshen the area up. Speed kills or at least maims, one workmans comp claim from the guy who wont wait for help to lift something heavy is the gift that keeps on giving. Keep you eye on the big picture, give me the steady tortoise and I will end up in the money every time.

10. grassmasterdawn

grassmasterdawn LawnSite Member

It's funny that you've all had some pretty lousy experience with your employees. I never had any luck trying to get a landscaping or lawn care company to even consider hiring me. I had to start my own company to do the type of work I wanted to!

Unfortunately, a lot of owners are looking for the wrong traits when it comes to giving somebody a job. You put a strapping young male high schooler with no experience up next to me, a 120 lb. female with several years experience in golf course maintenance and shoreline restoration plantings and every single time they will go for the high schooler.

I always loved to see the same companies that I had been interviewed by, advertising the same position again a week or two later because the strapping high school kid didn't realize this kind of work got you dirty and sweaty.:dancing: