New here and need advice on w/b.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WVHILLBILLY, Feb 23, 2005.

1. WVHILLBILLY

WVHILLBILLY LawnSite Member
    from WV

Hello,

I am looking at buying a walk behind and I have a few questions. I will mostly be using this on my own property. My yard is a hillside with some steep areas. I will be mowing approximately 3 to 5 acres total. Some of the area may be considered a field rather than a yard. Will moderately high grass pose a problem? Can you use chains on the tires for better traction? I have been reading about the JD GS30, the Toro Proline, and some of the SapperPro walk behinds, can anyone tell me their experiences with any of these? What price range am I looking at? I do not need a top of the line model and cost is a factor. I cannot find a dealer in my area as of yet.

Thanks for any information. It will be a great help!!

WVHILLBILLY

2. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

I have a GS 30 It is a hell of a mower! Its a tank. However they are discontinueing it...buy it now or else price will go up 700 for new model. You could probably buy for 2300. Just dont' hit rocks, logs...ect. It will cut any grass!!!

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not used those mowers but enjoy my lesco mower. If you have that much to mow you might want to check out Lescos Z2. Its the same as the cub Tank. And a 54 in deck is only 6 grand.

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I had a gs deere 36" belt drive .Then i got a turf tracer exmark hydro. Go hydro you will never go back!

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What part of WV are you located hillbilly? I can help with some dealers and reps if you arent too far south of us. I used Snapper mowers up until last summer. A pro hydro or pro gear express would be a good cost effective choice. My dealer has a few trade ins and used ones as well.

6. WVHILLBILLY

from WV

Impact,

I am from Upshur County in central WV. About what price are the Pro Hydros? I had also found some info on Cub Cadet walk behinds. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks,
    WVHILLBILLY

7. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I am partial to Scag for a walkbehind. 3 to 5 acres is a fair amount to mow with a wb get the widest cut you can and look into a Velke so you can ride some of it. Some wb's double as snow throwers so there are chains available for the tires, not sure if they work well or what they do to the grass. I would shop for the best used machine around. Since you aren't going to use this to earn a living you don't need the Cadillac and you did say price was a concern. You should hopefully be able to find a solid used machine for 1500$.

8. WVHILLBILLY

from WV

Landlubber,

My 3 to 5 acres is not one large yard. It is a group of areas on my property that I would like to mow but not at the same time. As far as chains are concerned, I am not to wooried about the grass, I just want traction on the steep hillside that I call my yard.

Thanks all,
    WVHILLBILLY

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have a mountainside and not a yard....lol

10. WVHILLBILLY

from WV

Mo Green,

I have actually watched hawks soaring---below me!!!LOL

You are pretty much right, but the view is great!! I actually need a small 4x4 tractor for the farm and a majority of my mowing but I don't trust a tractor on my sideling yard.