New here, Question about Exmark/Scag

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MPD, Feb 5, 2006.

1. MPD

MPD LawnSite Member

I plan on purchasing either a Scag or Exmark walk behind. Either new or used.

My question is, new or used, which one is better, and better to start off with? I hope to by a hydro, basically because the belt driven ones don't sound durable. But what is a free flowing deck, and a fixed deck?

I like the Toro W/B's, but cannot get a catalog on them. Are they good?

2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Im pro exmark. Though I've never used anything else.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

How would a catalog help you to know if they are good or not? :confused: Go and demo the mowers. New or Used? Do the best you can affoard. Go for the hydros if you can or maybe look at the Quick 36 if that is closer to your budget. How big of one did you want? Both Exmark and Scag are good names. What type of properties will you be doing?

4. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

a floating deck is not attached solid to your mower it is attached by chain's,etc. So it kinda float's along and is suppose to leave a better cut (opions vary some get along fine with a fixed deck other's dont)less scalping no high point's on uneven terrain,etc. a fixed deck is bolted or welded solid to the frame and doe's not flex like a floating deck, it's is easier to scalp and leave high point's in the grass in really rough terrain because the deck is not following the terrain, I run a metro 36 exmark and i love it got a good deal on it, it cost me 2100.00 after taxe's got it during the fall month's it was the last one and they wanted to get rid of it so i got a good deal, I have a belt drive which works fine for me but i had already planned to get a zero turn rider this year so i decided to go with a belt drive because it was cheaper and id be getting a rider then i would keep it for back up and back yard's.but if i dont get my rider this year il be kickin myself. Id go with a hydro if you can afford it, they make life a little easier, but it's exmark for me.

5. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

what size lawn's can you justify a walkbehind

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont own an Exmark but I own a Scag, Scag is a great mower, but the pistol grip controls are not for me.If you get an Emark consider the ECS grips. Or atleast demo a pistol grip for a few days to see if they are really for you

wayne

7. MPD

MPD LawnSite Member

Sorry if I was not clear.

I'd like to get a catalog for a Toro to check out the specs etc. Any Toro owners?

8. out4now

from AZ

I got literature from exmark a long time ago by Subscribing to Turf magazine ( a sponsor here) and having it sent to me. You should sign up, circle the number of the product that interests you on the card and they mail it straight to you. Let me see if I can dig up some specs for you online. http://www.exmark.com/turftracerhpspecs.htm
    http://www.exmark.com/vikingspecs.htm
    http://www.exmark.com/metrospecs.htm
    Doesn't look like Scag has as detailed info on their site but dealer should have it.

9. MPD

MPD LawnSite Member

Thanks Out4Now!

10. out4now

from AZ