1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New here, questions about pricing jobs....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Thecutup, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Thecutup

Thecutup LawnSite Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

I read the post from weedwacker about his ideas on pricing and his response got mixed reviews. My questions are to the Pros here at the site. What would you guys charge for the same jobs Weedwacker is trying to do for at 28.00 bucks a yard?

I'm new here and as this is my 1st post I'm trying to get as much info I can gather. I guess most of you will refer to me as a hobbyist but I'm looking to do half a day kinda work. With additional work over the weekends. I'm looking to move up to high end work but I need to make a name for myself before I can do that. I don't want to do cheap work but I might have to low ball to bring in clients, or at least that was my thinking.

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some info on pricing like do you charge by the trip out and by an hourly rate or do you approach it as set rates for grass cutting, trimming and edging work. Sorry I sound like a rookie but I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks to all that respond.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We set our prices based on the competition in the area. However, we are a fairly good size business and try to grow it each year. In general we are probably slightly lower than most solo guys. Solo guys demand and get a little higher price because they can give that individual touch. And usually a solo only needs a small number of customers so he will cherry pick, which is just fine. So if you don't know prices in your area go ask a few neighbors they will usually tell you.
  3. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

if it takes me under 30min i charge 30$, more than 30min i try for 1$ per minuite but this isnt possible on all lawns if its over an acre i charge 50/acre also if theres fences where i cant get my biggest mower in i charge more and also for excessive trimming like hills to steep to mow

28 dollars a lawn is fine if it only takes 10 or 15 min to do but if the yard takes you an hour your just wasting your time and money
  4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I am far from a Pro, but I would suggest to know what your costs are, your overhead.... don't low ball yourself cause it to me just shows that you don't value the quality of work you can do, and your just another pickup truck bandit, thats here today an gone tomorrow. I personally don't take my equipment off my trailer for less then a certain amount, and I don't quote over the phone, I made that mistake once. I make sure to meet with the client, I then can get a good judge of what they are looking for, if they are just looking for the low price an just cut, trim an blow guy, then I tell them that I am not the guy for them. I take pride in my work no matter what it is that I do, and I charge for that. The only people I low ball I guess, is the people in my sub-divison, and reason is that I really don't have to drive far at all, if at all....so I charge less for them, once I am out of my sub-div, I charge a min rate and it goes up from there for more work to be done, hedges, size of property and est time to complete.... just don't shoot yourself in the foot to get the clients, stick to your guns on your price, don't low ball yourself just to get work...those clients who want the low ballers, will more then likely call you next season when their great price LCO just stops showing up......

5. Thecutup

Thecutup LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input so far guys. Poncho, as for my overhead, I estimate that to get started and not look like the pick-up bandit type it will cost me around $5,000. I hope to make around 2-3 grand a month doing this "part time". I'm more interested in doing quality, higher end yards rather than cheap labor, so any other input you guys have I'd be thankful for it.

I had a question about how frequent you cut a clients grass more often, 1x a week or 1x every 2 weeks?
    And during winter how do you continue to do business with your clients?
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

As fall and winter nears you can do several things,yard clean-up,leaves,prune hedges,tree's ect..ect. Some of our eldery customers want us to clear snow for them,sidewalks,driveway's and even there car's. We have several friend's who own there own tree removal company,so we take most of the firewood in the summer split it in fall and then start to sell cords of wood. :usflag:
  7. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

For those of us in the southern states, we don't deal with snow :) even tho its a big money maker, I have told all my yearly clients that I will continue to come out durring the non growth period at least every 2 weeks, durring that time for some of my good $$ single parent and elderly clients I told them to put together a honey-do-list, things like fix a few pannels in their fence, pressure wash their decks/pool area (no chem just water). Things like that, Also durring hurricane times, we usally get alot of fallen tree limbs an what not, as long as they are not over board will clean them up for them, hauling is extra...