new here with new to me cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mellowyellow, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mellowyellow

mellowyellow LawnSite Member

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now and decided to join, Not that I will have much to add, but to at least say hello. I am a small time farmer in the Okla. panhandle. Bought a 07 277B to move a little dirt and push some snow around in the winter. It will be used in soft dirt most of the time. It had 368 hours on it when i got it and now has 405 on it. Going to try to post a pic of it(brother-in-law in the seat). If the pic works I have added a radio setup that worked out pretty good if anyone is interested in the way I mounted it and the speakers. This is my first post so cut me a little slack if nothing shows up like it is supposed to,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mellowyellow

[​IMG]

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You did fine on the post and pic. Welcome to the site sir. Looks like nice country. I am originally from Wichita. I know that is not real close to you but I miss the area.

3. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

Very nice, my favorite Cat model.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

welcome to the site! Nice looking machine too. How do you like that bucket? I picked on up by accident and have found a ton of uses for it.

5. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Best grading MTL Cat ever made. The new ones wouldn't hold a candle to the old 267 and 277's. That thing can almost walk on water.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My radio is attached to the roof with a plastic bracket and the speakers are in the upper corners of the rear of the cab, is yours similar?

7. mellowyellow

44DCNF--I bought it from caterpillar used site and dealt with a woman out of Wichita, then picked it up in Dodge City....

this site helped me a lot in making my decision, seemed I looked at cats till I was starting to see yellow when I closed my eyes at night.

yellowdogsvc-- really like the bucket, I have several other buckets on other tractors, but this is the first with teeth. I am going to get a twenty inch tree sheer for it before too long, but have pulled some small trees by putting the bucket over them and closing it,,,

bigben--if it will just walk on a little snow I will be happy.,

bobcat ron-- I found a stereo called secert radio,, it has a receiver you mount somewhere out of the way, then the faceplate is only 3/4 inch deep. I mounted it in the plastic on the upper left hand side. It also has a really small remote that controll all functions... going to try to post several pics at once. Again, Im new at this so no telling what will happen

the main receiver, it has a plug to hook up a cd changer to it(not into cd's)
    [​IMG]

the faceplate
    [​IMG]

and the speakers,,, just set them up there with double sided tape, so far they are holding real good
    [​IMG]

thanks for the welcome,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,mellowyellow

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's completely different, but I don't think the speakers will last long up there, a couple months of dust in the cab ( and it will get in there) and those speakers will be flopping all over.

9. mellowyellow

bobcat ron-- you may be right, but thought I would try it before I go to cutting holes,, If that doesnt work I may set them down in a little silicon. I did clean both surfaces real good before mounting them and Im thinking no dirt should get between the tape and the mounting surface(fingers crossed). They have been there for about thirty hours so far and still dont move any. I have the cab sealed pretty good too. I followed your thread on sealing the cab and found several spots where there were gaps between the sealing tape and pluged them with silicon. I also put weather stripping under the side window glass to keep it from working its way in there. about the only dirt I get is around the cab filter and it isnt too bad.,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, mellowyellow

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mellow- Welcome to the site, and hopefully that machine fills your needs. If the double sided tape doesn't work for the speakers, try some 3M brand hook & loop velcro... it holds really well. On the gaps letting dust in, I've been using DAP Tex on my CTL and it works great. It's latex based, isn't sticky, and doesn't overexpand. It stays put but pulls off cleanly if you need to remove it.