1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New high income account in the bag!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, May 20, 2004.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Today I picked up a high dollar account on a multi-million dollar home. The former LCO is retiring June 1st. The homeowner called me saying that one of my current customers referred me to him and wanted to talk to me. I went to the home this afternoon and was floored at what he said. I want you to care for the property as if it were your own. Then came this statement, " I don't care what you charge for your service just send the bill to my bank and it will be paid each month in advance. I only live here 3 to 4 months out of the year, but I want it to look perfect all the time. "

This home is a palace. About 25k SF of perfectly manicured St. Augustine. About 12k SF of heavily mulched beds containing some very expensive shrubs and trees. Not a weed to be found anywhere. I called the LCO that is retiring and had a long talk with him about the property and the owner. It takes him 2-3 hours a week to keep it looking the way it does. He subs out all the lawn and shrub spraying. He trims the shrubs every 10 days or so during the growing season. When I asked how much he charged for the work he said " the owner doesn't get into those details, but don't short change yourself when it comes to your fee".:eek: It must be wonderful to have so much money that you don't care how much of it you spend on lawn care for your home(s)!!
  2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Congrats, Ive always wanted a account like that, Not so much for the $$ But to have place I can spend all the time I want to make it perfect, and improve on all the time.
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on getting the account, Dennis !!
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good for you!
    Handle it with care................
  5. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Ya landed that one buddy, Nice one.

6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

KOOL deal.

Now, what will you charge?
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm still working on the numbers. On Saturday I'm going to walk the entire yard to get a good idea of the amount of time it will take me. I'm going to be fair to the customer. It doesn't matter that money is no object to him, I'm still an honest business person and not out to cheat a customer by overcharging. This account has the potential to produce a slew of other similar accounts since the wealthy flock together. There is a lot of very expensive real estate in this sub-division and I could land a few more of these types of accounts. I will however charge a premium price since it's obvious that this customer wants top drawer service.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have a customer like that in California. They tell me, "Do whatever you have to." Best customer ever!!!
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

does Rainbow drive sound right????
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, that is my #1 account, the cali one is #2 account. The reason for rainbow is because I service three of his properties year round (snow removal and maintenance)