New hire

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Jul 1, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So for the small companies.......I will very soon be starting employee #1.

Hourly wage and its part time as work comes........3 weeks of backlog though so full time atm. It's been explained that some weeks maybe only 2-3 days others 5-6 depending on work load. I don't think I'll have a prob staying busy for the rest of the season and will deal with winter when it gets here.

Here's my question.......other than payroll/tax stuff, anything else to sign etc? I just took out workman's comp (ouch) too by the way. He's my age (22) came by the job I was work'n on and we talked a while and he wanted it and I he'll be starting next week. It's basically a handshake and you're hired deal but I don't know about "your hired, now sign this employee contract" or whatever.

So just fill out the tax stuff and roll with it or am I missing something?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Workmans Comp is not a bad idea of course but in Virginia you don't HAVE to carry it until you have 3 employees (including you) So if it's just you and him for now you don't legally need to have it.

Otherwise I guess did you verify his identity and work eligibility status?

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

dont worry about all that employee crap. he wont even show up monday.

4. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

You got some of the right stuff done. You do need to verify his identity and eligibility to work, I-9 form & SS. It would be best if you could get your local tax/fed. tax requirements from a CPA or even the local tax office. I never had my employee's sign a contract although there were days I thought about it. I had 70+ employees at peak operations during 88-92.

The handshake works for honest men. If your word is no good then no amount of paper will change it.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

are you sure about the workmans comp? its not how it was explained to me.....

i'll look up the I9 and SS.......assume i can get that off of the irs website

6. HOOLIE

Yes as far as workmans' comp that's what I've been told numerous times by my insurance company...3 employees total counting yourself (even if you don't draw an official paycheck) WC laws vary from state to state.

I got all the I9 forms off the IRS website.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

i just spent 15mins looking through links........got a link? or is there a more specific name for the form?

thanks!

8. tthomass

from N. VA

and 20 seconds later i find it........I9 and W4

thanks!

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Apparently you have hired some of the same people that I hired.:laugh:

10. HOOLIE