New hire

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by alternative, May 3, 2007.

1. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

Gosh! How do you guys handle unexperience labor, I just hired a new guy, experienced in construction side of the biz (somewhat) but lawn maint. -- He just cannot figure it out. Its only been 3 weeks. Am I being too rough?
    Any input?

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

What is it that he cannot figure out ? I can't imagine it would take three weeks to train someone on lawn maintenance.

3. alternative

Trimming and blowing. I am very detailed, and he just is not. Plus he cant figure out a pattern. Start here, and end here! I think its simple, but I guess some just dont remember what they;re told.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

If it has been 3 weeks and he is not getting the basics of lawn maint. then I think he never will....
    I had someone that I hired and he was very experienced in the construction side of things. He worked a month and was still not getting what I wanted to be done. He missed a lot of trimming, I believe that he was making a lot more with a construction company and did not think he was being paid enough. He didn,t have any drive about him. I got very tired of these problems and another big one so I said it will not work for us---BYE BYE:waving:

I thing yoyu are in the same situation as I was. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are certain jobs in this world that some people just can't hack, no matter how simple the job and how brilliant the worker, perhaps in some cases the worker is too smart and maybe in other cases not enough, but it could be any number of reasons and general IQ levels probably just one out of a thousand possibles.

If this starts to happen on regular occasion, perhaps you may wish to take a look at your methods.

If this is one out of a hundred then it's not usually worth trying to figure out why, if it's not working out then perhaps a change of career might be advisable (for the employee in this case), thou he might try with another company too before deciding this isn't for him but I don't know what is going on.

6. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Punt! Start looking for another guy.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

if they aren't up and running 100% after 1 full week, they never will...real simple.

8. alternative

I think maybe I am too anal retentive (VERY) detailed, and not too many people are as picky as I. When I say he has not caught on, its just he starts blowing the walk then goes elsewhere and comes back, (takes too many steps) Maybe its my training? Any tips.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now that you say that, I am thinking it could be practice...

I mean, I can whoop out an acre in 48 minutes with a Wb, double cut...
    Then trim and blow down, just under an hour if I have the Z, 65 - 70 minutes with the Wb, it's all wham-boom-bam and perfect, or close to it. Takes me less than 60 seconds from the time I pull up until I got the mower chomping grass, that's putting gear lever in park / shutting down engine / seat belt + car door / walk to back unlock and lower gate and unload and start the Wb and all that crap, nowadays most everything I do is all one smooth motion.

But getting to that point took me years, I've probably cut slightly in excess of 3,000 yards to date, and it used to take me dang near an hour for 1/4 acre lots in my 1st year, just how it was. Slowly, gradually I got better, but it was a long time coming, one yard and one day at a time.

Just to where I can start my handheld in 1 pull took me dang near a year to figure out the stupid trick, the string trimmer was easier, but again it's practice makes perfect.

I am familiar with what you're going through, I hired on a young fellow years ago who was slow like that... I figured better slow and neat than fast and sloppy, yet it drove me up a wall lol. It is sad, I felt so bad, but the next guy I hired was too experienced lol, wait until you get one like that... In my case, it was the reason I work solo, but idk if you're a crew-based op or just a 1-2 man show...

Perhaps if you can let the man either work unsupervised or with another of your crew, rather than you being there, that might help...
    Otherwise, tolerance, if you can...

10. alternative

Yes, I know what you're saying! I am a hard person to please..I am sort of a perfectionist, and not too many are like that. And mostly I just expect it to be done as I do, but I also have over 15yrs exp.