New Holland aux hydraulic control

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bubbas45, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bubbas45

bubbas45 LawnSite Member

Howdy, folks. I have an NH LS 185.B skid steer with hand and foot controls. To enable the aux hydraulics, you unlock the right control lever and move the handle up and down. Up is for the female coupler, down is for the male. For either of these, you have to hold the handle in position; if you let go, it returns to neutral and neither coupler has flow.

The manual says that you can push the handle way down to a detent position that provides continuous flow to the attachment.

The problem: I can't seem to get the handle into a detent position. Is that unusual? The attachment I have on is a KingHitter postpounder attached only to the female coupler. The oil return goes back to the oil reservoir, so nothing is attached to the male coupler. (This is a whole nother bag of worms, but that's a different thread.)

Comments, advice appreciated.

thanks, bws
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That's a little more than odd if there is only one hose from the machine to power an attachment like that, maybe that's why the handle won't go into the detent, try it when the engine is shut off, and it is in the right spot for the detent? I always thought it was the other direction.
  3. bubbas45

bubbas45 LawnSite Member

I'll try it with the engine off.

It would be so much more convenient if the return from the post driver went back to the other connector. Apparently when the 550-lb hammer drops, the rush of oil from the driver back to the skid steer is quite powerful and cannot be restricted as much as the line for the other coupler would do.

Unfortunately, KingHitter is a rather less than informative company. PRobably good enough for you guys that can weld up a suspension bridge from scrap or whittle a working 3/4 ton truck from popsicle sticks. I'm not one of those guys. I need explicit directions that require no leaps of knowledge.

Another post driver mft, Wikco, has a similar return system. Unlike KingHitter, they provide model-specific fittings for the return back to the oil reservoir. I guess I'm going to have to talk to them and see if that package can be made to work with my driver.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Tractors have a different set up on their valves, and maybe that is not a model meant for skid steers, it might need a recirculation valve and a trip set up so when the hammer drops, the oil goes back around through the valve and into the machine. All the post pounders I see here in the Berry Orchards are PTO driven and the larger ones that are hydraulic have two lines.