New Holland CTL's vs John Deere CTL's

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Milton, May 19, 2007.

1. Milton

Milton LawnSite Member

Alright here it is... I am in the market for a CTL the nearest and best service/dealers are New Holland and John Deere. I can get a John Deere CT-332 for around $52,000 with 400 hours or I could also purchase a New Holland C185 for around $49,000 with 13 hours. Basically, I plan to due light grading, light sitework, and loading. What do you guys suggest between the two as far as track maintenance, servicability, power, etc? I'm leaning toward the New Holland because it has pilot controls, it is cheaper, and I prefer the New Holland service/repair over John Deere's at least as far as price goes. Are the New Hollands a good and reliable machine?

Thanks guys for any help you can give.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Think about it this way.

The Deer skid steers most people loved were rebadged new hollands. The new ones aren't :)

I'm not a huge fan of either.
  3. jd5210

jd5210 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Hi new here but I have a JD 332.

I like the power alot! Dont like the fuel useage, It will go through a tank of fuel in +-8 hours. It will get stuck kinda easy, considering it is a track machine. I have no advice on new Holland and prior to owning this JD. I only ran a Bobcat track for a week and was hooked on the general idea's of these machine and there capabilities.

Have not had any issues so far with my machine but have only put about 80hrs on her.Oh I dont like all the safety stuff but I understand why its there. Just dont care for it.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$52K for a a 332 with 400 hours? Wow, I didn't realize they were that expensive. We bought a brand new Cat 277B fully loaded with cab, A/C, and hydraulic coupler for $50K last year.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

6. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

what your doing cant you use a skid loader
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

$52,000 is way too high for a used CT332 with 400 hours! I bought mine new with bucket and forks for not too much more. I wouldn't take that offer.

I've had my CT332 for a year now, and it's been a very nice machine. It's got 450 hard worked hours on it, and I'm very happy with it. I have the hands controls that I think are comfortable and have a good feel.

It does drink a lot, and the cab could be sealed better. Too much dust gets in IMO. They should be pressurized. Those are my only real complaints, the rest is gravy.

I've only seen the NH CTL's at the dealer. I've yet to see one on a jobsite. The look like nice machines and I considered one before I bought mine, but I never demoed one. I think someone on here recently bought one. Maybe they will chime in.

The two machines are built similar. The Deere specs better, and I'd be surprised the NH had more real world power, but that's not to say the NH isn't plenty powerful enough. Both machines are relatively new, so it will take a couple years to see how "reliable" they are.

Demo them both to see which is better for you. That's the only way to tell. Dealer support is also very important. I would definetly shop around for a better deal for the Deere though.
  8. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i think those prices are kinda high.
    i use to have a new holland ls190. the thing was a beast. the drivetrain was loud as heck on it though, but since they combined with Case a few years ago, new holland uses the case drivetrains. they share the same track systems.

new holland, along with case, have a 0% for 36 months and 3 year powertrain warranty. that's a pretty good deal.
  9. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i was looking at the new holland website, and it looks like they redesigned the cab. suppose to have better visibility and be quieter.
  10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

The price on the Deere seems high to me and and for the New Holland I would see what a new one cost. As far as reliability of the Deere they are very good. The undercarriage on the Deere's seem to be well thought of so far. As far as the New Holland machine goes, it shares the same undercarriage as a Case. Case and New Holland are combined company's Case/New Holland which is majority owned by Fiat. As far as the New Holland design it has been around for year's and year's now. The pilot controls are new in the New Holland machines. Im guessing it would be the same as the Case also. The Deere and New Holland are basically identical machines in design of the vertical lift setup. Both machines you can get around the entire engine by flipping the cabs and removing some side panels. The New Holland from what I understand is a little harder to flip the cab since some type of (jack?) is needed. I think it cost somewhere around three hundred. I looked over one of the New Holland CTL's at the farm show. I was reading what you needed the machine for. You sure you need something as big as these two machine??? The Deere has about four more hp than the New Holland. I have a Deere skid and happy with it so far.