New Holland in the winter time

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by grassdoctor, Oct 18, 2005.

1. grassdoctor

grassdoctor LawnSite Member

I herd bad things about the new hollands in the winter. I herd that the hydros get real stiff. Is this a fact? I heard kubota has no problems. How is the massey? Oh well just another one of those things I am looking at before I buy. Thanks Guys..... If you want to throw in the good and bad about some3 other tractors as well feel free. The model of tractor I am currently looking at is the NH 33 boomer or the KUBOTA l2800/3130

2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota and never had problems in the winter,, Around me must be another 100 each, Kubota/Deere, and NH's and I never heard this before. Although in New England area, most, if not all dealers set up tractors to run super UDT or equivalent hydraulic fluid and maybe this is part of the answer..

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

2- new holland and never had any trouble with slow hydros in the winter

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have a New Holland DC-21. It is 5 years old. No problems in the winter.

5. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My NH Skid Steer is hard to start in cold weather.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Thats because it has a diesel engine. All diesels are this way regardless of brand.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not with working glow plugs, theres 2 kinds that I know about#1 is each cylinder has a glow plug I've went out and and started my tractor with just using the glow plugs at -12 below 0. The other is a glow plug in the cylinder that holds the fuel before it gets to the combustin chamber, its not nearly as affective but will work if its not to cold out, also its an older way of building, Any of the new tractors will have indivdual glow plugs and should never have a problem in the winter unless its a long and brutally cold spell.They will start any time a new car will start. The older ones use a shot of eather

8. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

My NH TC35 DA pops right off sitting day and night in the wind . So does our Dodge W/Cummins diesel. The big Ford truck ? It needs new glow plugs but when plugged in still starts as good or better than gas. Even have a diesel Golf for running errands.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

2 New Holland Boomers - no trouble here. 1 is 3 years old and the other is brand new.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

While they may cool off faster in the wind, engines and hydraulic fluid don't feel wind chill like humans do. If you dont store and maintain heat, you cant lose it. Wind would make no difference to an engine; may help actually acting like a supercharger!