new holland ls 180 electrical problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Pondman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Pondman

Pondman LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 new holland ls 180. When I sit in seat- no action on the control panel. When I turn key once- beeps but still no lights. when I turn key to start it fires up but when i release key- it stalls and starter is still cranking for 5 seconds or so and then stops. I'm guesiing it might be a starter relay but I don't know why the control panel won't light up when in seat. Before this problem It always lit up as soon as i sat down even with key in off position. Does anybody have answers?

2. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

I had some similar issues with my 05 185.b. It sound like your seat sensor is malfunctioning. I would start by checking all fuses in the cab and engine compartment , see if the wire harness under your seat has come loose or been pinched or frayed. Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. I know that there is a NH mechanic ( charger is his user-name)whose shows up on the www.skidsteerforum.com occasionally.

Good luck
    George

3. dirthog

dirthog LawnSite Member

As stated above check the seat switches also the fuses there are also fuses behind the cab on the left side in the engine compartment also try and throw the serivce switch under the panel on the right side above your head see if it will run then

4. Pondman

Pondman LawnSite Member

I will check tomorrow. I have a question though. When I turn the key- it starts even though i still have no control panel features. When I let the key go it stalls but the starter still turns the engine over for a few seconds. If i turn key to off position the starter is still cranking engine for 3 seconds more before it finally stops. That doesn't sound like seat switches or fuses does it? Admittedly a mechanic i am not.

Thanks for responding. electronics frustrate the heck out of me.
    Joe

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely the seat switch is wired in series with the fuel injector relay, but not with the starter relay, so even with the seat switch messed up, it will still let it crank (however, with no signal to the fuel relay you'll never get any fuel.)

6. Pondman

Pondman LawnSite Member

Got it. Starting to make more sense. Still boggled by when i let go of key, It stalls & the starter is still turning the engine over even after i have turned key to off position for a few seconds. How the heck does that happen?

7. Pondman

Pondman LawnSite Member

O.K.- all fuses good. Both seat switches good. I can start it with the service switch thrown. Any ideas on what's up?

8. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

When you say switches you should have one seat switch which is also tied into your belt sensor. How did you test the switches? When I tested mine I just used a bypass wire to see if the panel lite up.
    George

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My guess is the service switch bypasses the safety switches so you can run the machine in controlled situations.

Call a NH dealer and get a service manual. They are spendy, but valuable.

10. Pondman

Pondman LawnSite Member

Sounds nuts but i have not one but 2 switches under my seat that have push buttons when weight is applied to seat. They're identical. One towards back and one towards front. I put a test light on the positive terminal of the switch and it lit. I put the light on the return terminal and when i press the switch- the circuit is completed and the light lights up, when i let go of switch it goes out. Both switches seem fine.