New Holland LS190

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by start2finish, Apr 3, 2008.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at purchasing a used LS190, any owners that can give me some advise.

2800hrs, two speed., fairly tight machine, I am looking for common problems and things to look. problems etc.

good comments are welcome too. as for recommending another brand of machine, I have other opinons too please keep it specific to this machine
    New holland LS190 2000 year model or same

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot speak specifically about your machine but I will say New Holland has been building this same basic design for years and years and keeps perfecting it more and more with each newer model. I think pins and bushings would be one of the main things I would be looking at. I would say the boom pins and bushings are probably fine but I bet where the bucket curls needs replaced. I would check the engine out real good that it is not using oil or anything like that. Im thinking that was maybe the only thing I heard anyone ever complain about on the New Holland machines but if it's had a good life it should be fine.Make sure the bucket can pick the machine up in the front and find a good size pile or something to push into to see that the hydraulics do not give. Other than that check welds and make sure none are broken. Listen to noises when turning that may indicate needing the chains tightned or replaced.

3. start2finish

the machine seem a bit noisy, but so did all the later new hollands i have looked at.

blow by is minimal if any

ran machine for an hour or so and could not find any leaks

the usual tire kicking and such. I need to look a little closer for welds.

anyone else know the pros and cons of these.

4. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have this machine but to be honest ours is not even broken in - 4 yrs old and just turned 100 hrs. It is by nature a noisy machine, especially with the open cab. Depending on your intended use, the only "con" I can think of is the size/weight of the beast. That is why ours has so few hours. It is too big to fit in many backyards and the weight does a number on turf. If we do use it on a jobsite, we automatically figure reseeding the entire area where we use it. Next unit will definitely be New Holland, only one of the track units and full cab with heat and air. The unit has plenty of power, lifts way more than the rated SOL, and has been maintenance and trouble free so far.

5. start2finish

okay you have echoed my thoughts on the machine, we have a old 555 new holland with the perkins and 8000 hours, yes original motor. it has worn out tires and use it for tree service division.

We have a 773 bobcat we use for landscape side now and it is pretty worn and I wanted a machine to handle sod pallets and stone pallets as well a brute strength for grading. so the turf damage will be fine. I would think it is too big for an only machine unless grading was only service. but with the two smaller machines it may fit great.

I have heard "offline" that they give some electrical troubles with the saftey interlocks sometimes but what machine doesn't give some problems

6. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i also have new holland ls190 and the noise is a factor for in cab comfort but most machines are noise no matter what your running, but they can deffently pic up more then they are rated at the power on it is extremely nice, the only thing is that they eat through grease quickly and in my enclosed cab the windows wont stay closed cause they dont have locks for some reason but they great

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

that new holland ls190 will lift more then the bobcat but for grading the 773 is alot better the new hollands do not have good visibility at all from the sides because of those big loader arms and the rear of the machine is just so dam big.. sit in the 773 and then sit in the new holland and tell me which machine you can see the corner of the buckets with.. 773 will come out on top.. my 773 used to lift pallets of sod but didnt lift pavers

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of NH machines here, but most are older and only one that is a 190 that I see around. A guy that used to work for me works for the company that runs it. They don't like it, mostly because of the foot controls and it is physically a big machine, and no ride control. The guy got spoiled running the CASE machines. However in the right environment they are probably a horse to have.

The 773 is a terrible grading machine. The wheel base is too short and it is too narrow of a machine. The NH with its long wheel base and wider stance is much more stable when grading. Also due to its long wheelbase the bucket digs better without skipping across hard ground like the 773. The 773 was popular but in the area of grading it cant hold a candle to a NH.

9. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the new holland because of what KSSS just said good lifting, good grading ability, once you use it more you will be able to judge the blind spots.

Keep us informed in want you will purchase.

10. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

I know we are not talking about newer models here but the "B" series 190 that came out in 05 is a MUCH improved quieter unit than the older 190.Not calling the older 190 bad,just noisier(specially in high range)..The newer series runs the 274 motor instead of the 304 Ford the earlier series had.The 304 is an excellent motor but there were a few units that got shipped out the door with different piston rings than Ford normally used(this was due to a parts supplier for the original rings going on strike and Ford having to find a new source for the time being).Most machines were taken care of if there was a problem but I would check for blow by.No blow by/no problem..They are a bigger tail machine and takes some room..But they will grade excellent once you get the hang of it.The long wheelbase makes grading easier.Turning with these though WILL cause some damage to turf because of its size..
    The B series engine and hydros are MUCH quieter and WAY smoother on the drive motors to operate.The improved servo assist makes running the newer 180.185 or 190 a very smooth feeling process.And the stalk levers move so easily back and forth that wear and tear on the operator is much reduced..The electrical issues mentioned above are not really an issue.The only thing that comes to mind is the seatbelt switch right in the seatbelt its self.Dirt,moisture and vibration can cause them to fail sometimes over time...But not something to be overly worried about..