new holland lx665

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

This is for sale locally 1997 with 1500 hrs for $9900.00 or best offer. Looks really good, excellent maintenance records. Anybody use one of these?

nhlx665turbo.jpg

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to rent them on occasion, but honestly I think they are junk. Not very smooth, sometimes difficult to operate the bucket smoothly. Very herky-jerky! I guess I am used to the joystick controls. I can change a baby's diaper w/ my CAT, but God help that baby if I'm using a NH.

Chris

3. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

This is going to differ with everyone. I'm the complete opposite of cg. I can run an NH so smoothly, I look like crap on a joy stick type. It just depends on what you started/learned with.

Personally, if you are looking at older models, I'd go with an 885 or a new LS 180. You won't have to worry about what you can't and can lift with the bigger ones, for the most part.

I did move a pallet of pavers with a 665 before, and let me tell you, I wasn't comfortable moving it.

4. bigviclbi

from nj

Can't really afford a new one, and this looked like a good deal. I understand about joystick vs foot control, I've rented cats and loved them. Not as concerned with moving pavers as digging.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We have one here at our shop that we now use mostly as a forklift. Bought it used, and it had already had a hard life at an asphalt paving company. We used it for some landscape work for a year, before turning it into our shop forklift. It is a little light for most lifting work, and will just barely handle a pallet of grass, even if you keep it low to the ground. Ours is still a nice running old machine. I do hate the foot pedal controls, as they are very "sticky" and hard to operate smoothly. Maybe ours is just worn out, but I hate those foot pedals.

6. bigviclbi

from nj

How many hours does it have on it mowingman? From what I gather 1500 hours on this machine is not that much. 99% of my work with the skid steer will be digging out driveways and large patios, and dropping in base material. I don't need to move pavers around too much, just digging. So how does it dig? I also might keep renting, who knows.

7. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

The turbo will help out a bit for digging....but even with a full bucket of aggregate lifted a couple feet in the air the back end feels pretty light...

8. Bluenose II

Bluenose II LawnSite Member

I think that is a good buy. I currently have 4 NH skids. The oldest is a 2000 LX665 Turbo with over 6000 hours on it. No problems at all. My 2000 with heated cab and other accessories (that the one you show) is worth about $14000 (canadian). Good luck with your decision.

9. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

goto www.ironplanet.com and look at the auctions. You would be suprised what stuff goes for.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Hour meter was broken when we got it. I think it probably has over 2000hrs on it. I have used it for digging, using a bucket with teeth, and it does fine. It can feel a little light in the rear end with a big load of wet dirt in the bucket. All in all, ours has been a good little machine. If I needed it for full time landscape work, it would be too small. Your machine looks nice, and the price seems fair. Just do not expect to do any really heavy lifting work with it.