New Holland riding mower won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tandrew, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Tandrew

Tandrew LawnSite Member

I just recently bought a house and the riding lawn mower was left as part of the deal. I was using it last week when I started having problems with it. The first thing it did was that after it was started, it would shut off when I took my foot off of the brake. Now I can't get it to start at all. When I go to turn the key, I can hear it click over as if it is trying to start, but the engine does not even turn over. I have worked on some other mower's in the past, but I don't have any info at all on this one and I am not sure where to begin. Anyone got any suggestions.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have two problems first a safety switch on the brake may be acting up and the click with no starter spin sounds like the solenoid.

3. Tandrew

Tandrew LawnSite Member

Could the safety switch from the brake be the whole cause or do you think the solenoid is a problem too? Just trying to figure out where in the circuit the safety might be engaging.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I was out of lunch time when I posted. I'm not familiar with New Holland, But the first thing to check is battery cables and solenoid connections for corrosion or looseness. Some units wont even turn over unless a brake or clutch pedal is pushed. Most safety switches are located near the pedal or linkage so they can be activated. It sounds like a safety switch problem due to you saying it shut down when you released the brake. Now the click sounds like the solenoid as mentioned before so that is where I would start checking and testing for voltage after checking connections.
    What engine is on this unit ? Model and spec. numbers....