New Holland skid steers/CTLS

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Bleed Green, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone ever tried the New Holland skid steers or CTL's and if so what do you think of them? They don't seem to get much market play.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, I have noticed that too. We are looking at getting a new CTL and have a price from the local New Holland dealer. I see a lot of New holland rubber tire Skidsteers, but no track machines.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

we have one at work and it is just so far behind technologically wise... i am not sure what year it is but it only has like seven hundred hours on it and it was bought with five hundred hours so it isnt that old but the throttle is on a cable not a linkage,, there is no seat bar just a seat belt... and what dash is there is almost like a case dash but it is extremely crammed... i just dont really like it... control and ride wise i am not sure.. they wont let me run equipment alot anymore since i showed up one of there operators....

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

New Hollands are part Case, how much they share with Case I'm not entirely sure. (Cue PowerTan fanatic) I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the undercarriages of the tracked Case machines and NH's are the same, can someone verify?

New Hollands have always been a workhorse, no frill machine. They are generally longer in overall length than competitors given the boom linkage and engine compartment. I've noticed they are typically favored for use in heavy lifting applications, at least that's been my observation. They seem to be a good choice in heavy lift applications given their geometry, one can't argue too much with that component. They pack a seemingly greater amount of weight further behind the rear wheels when compared to comparable sized machines available from others.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They share some commonality such as engines (although they are set at a lower hp), instrument clusters tend to be the same. The pilots I was told were different. I know that even though machines are built in the same factory they pursued the Pilot controls individually. The running gear, drives are all different. The tracked units run the same undercarriage.

NH skid steers are popular, much to my amazement. They are big here with concrete guys. Although you don't see as many new ones as there used to be. Some guys prefer to grade with them because of the long wheel base, the bucket tends to dig in better. It apppears that NH has worked hard to update their machine, the cab is supposed to be improved although not pressurized. They seem to be very reliable. I have not seen anyone out here with a CTL NH.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to see a NH skid of any type here, I've seen more Case's and Deere's.

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 665 and 170. They were fine just no frills and underpowered. They are an overachieving machine I think. I don't like their seatbelt arrangement, I want a seatbar. It was a major pain when you are in and out. The 170 had foam filled tires and steel Grouser tracks and it graded very well and only being 66" helped on the tight jobs. If I keep getting hardscape work I might get another one because they lift alot. They sell alot around here (Wisconsin and Minnesota).

8. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

I have an 05 LS 185.b and have been very happy with it. It is a no frills machine with a high lift capacity and very easy to dig and grade with. The new version L185.b is a four cylinder vs a three and more powerful. The cab has had huge improvements done to its interior to bring it closer to the competition. I would love to buy a new one but I can't justify the expense. Out here they are very popular with concrete and landscape contractors. The only other skid I have used is a John Deere so I can't compare them to any others but if I had a choice I would buy another and the others who have them would do so too.

George

9. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I have just purchased A L170 for a smaller machine, for the most part I like it, it was either Case or NH and I thought the NH was a better machine for the money. I would rather have a safety bar, and if it was a machine that I was going to be running a lot I would get the pilot controls as the standard sticks are stiff. Farmers and landscapers around here love NH and they have great resale around here

10. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 LawnSite Member
    from MA

we have a NH C190 (CTL) at work. . .we used to have a wheeled machine too. I have run most company skid steers, and this is by far one of my favorites. It is the old style hand foot controls, but the thing is fast, powerful, and a workhorse. . .very few problems!