new home construction settling concerns

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

In the past we have had a coupe of issues with raised patios settling when constructed in conjunction with a new home. Fortunately they were due to issues outside our control (architects/builders not installing water diversion features, etc), but it still concerns me. What steps are you taking to ensure no settling in a raised patio in this vulnerable soil condition and what are you building up the base material with?

Matt

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an overdig detail which we follow. I can fax it to you if you like.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

what format is the detail in... is it auticad compatable (dwx, dxf, dwg?)
    if so i would love an email of it.

4. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

In my area, contractors warn about any installing any hardscapes on a new residence that hasn't had a winter yet because the soil always settles and needs touched up after the first winter. You always see a brand new house with pathetic bushes and plants around the foundation while its settling it's first year. Gives me a chance to eyeball potential customers because who woundn't be sick of it!

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I use the 3 ft rule. Ist yr nothing closer than 3 ft to the house becouse of settlement second yr 2 ft out and 3rd yr just a ft. but you can usually skip the 3rd and install. Thats what my warrenty says, if they want it done sooner you can add base, excavate to virgin soil etc. but it cost more and I still don't guarentee it.

Mac

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

This area is called the overdig area and if you installed a patio there w/o any additional precautions, then it IS within your control and it IS your fault for not knowing any better. Even though the builder may have screwed up(which I doubt! Builders never screw up! :p ) you will still have settling in that area. It's all common sense. I have walked away from so many patios for this reason. Even if the homeowner says "We won't hold you responsible" I still won't do it. It is my name and reputation on that job and I will never sacrifice quality for a buck. Do a little more reading and maybe hook up with an engineer. I hope you own up to your mistake and fix the problem.

Chris

P.S. Get the detail from Mike. It is a nice piece of info.

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Something to remember, even if the house is there for a year, it isn't automatic that you can do a standard install. You still need to take precautions and know what to look for.

8. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

"I hope you own up to your mistake and fix the problem."

Look, do you like to be talked down to in this manner? There is no problem. If we run into settling issues we correct them. We have our method of dealing with situation and I was hoping to see what has worked for others (thank you again Mbella) One issue with this forum is the sanctimonious responses like this one that are of no help relating to the question. We are all professionals here, hopefully, so lets try to discuss as such.

Matt

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in no way "talking down to you" I am merely stating a fact...and the fact is you installed a patio in an overdig area w/o taking the proper precautions. You even stated you had problems in the past w/ the same thing. You can't blame a builder for that. It is YOUR responsibility as a "professional" to know these things and convey them to your customer. A properly installed patio or wall can be partially submerged indefinately with the proper precautions and installation processes. Where are the water diversion features here? Everyone screws up and needs advise. Learn from your mistakes, don't blame others.

Chris