1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New home, newly sodded lawn.. HELP??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MTAYLORFFP, Jan 4, 2007.

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

I moved into a new home in september, and the sod was laid late aug, early sept.. It was still hot, and im not sure how much the grass got watered.. It was slightly dormant due to being on the pallet for unknown amt of time, so im not sure how well it will look... It doesnt look dead, just dormant.. however being new, and with a fair amt of traffic having been on it, its pretty thin in alot of spots, compaired to my neighbors that was sodded after mine, with thicker,better looking sod... What is anyones recomendation on spreading sand on the entire yard, for leveling and filling in shoe prints,etc.. I want to thicken the yard, and feel that thickening the base is the start. Ive seen red sand spread throughout a new sod yard once before.. I need opinions.. AND I have a slight drainage problem in my back yard that I will be taking care of in the spring with a french drain system... which I know is stunting the growth because of moss growing on the dirt... opinions and suggestions please!!!!
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

what kind of grass, i am figuring on bermuda. was any soil test done prior to sodding? if no, i would get one done to see what the fertilty looks like and that way you can make adjustments for next year.

yes it is bermuda.. im guessing no soil test... matter of a fact 100% sure no test..
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since it is bermuda you will be fine....fill/level with a good top soil in the spring and use some compost. Then start into you fertilize program.

so top soil, no sand? any particular mix? and how thick to thicken the yard? how long do you think it will take to grow through?
  6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

If it was a track builder god knows what kind of garbage the buried under your sod.

I would add about 1" of high quality compost. It will not green up for a few months. Your neighbor may of had winter grass over seeded on his Bermuda. Builders like to do that.

would adding extra bermuda seed help thicken the grass any?
  8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

it's a waste..just topdress the lawn and get the fertility right and the bermuda will creep over a lot faster than the seed will germinate. Plus the added expense will be tremendous. if the asthetics are the main thing, then sod it when it gets warm.
  9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

My simple suggestions are to wait until early to mid May and fertilize your lawn with a bag of 13-13-13 for every quarter acre of lawn you have, mow it regularly, water when needed, and throw some sand into those low spots when the grass really starts to grow. The bermuda will take the sand fast and it will be smooth. Bermuda loves water, fertilzer, and frequent mowings.

If you want to spend lots of time making you lawn perfect, there are many of other things you may want to consider.
  10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Ohio, it is state law (maybe even EPA law) for the builders to do soil test to check for mercury and other dangerous minerals. Drees Homes was just sued for not doing soil testing. Your builder probably has it on file.