New home owner lawn mower help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by watz, Apr 24, 2006.

1. watz

watz LawnSite Member

I currently have a new 1 acre lot. My "lawn" is completely flat with only my house as an obstacle. My lawn is currently all dirt but I have planted grass and am waiting for it to come up (slowly, but surely). I would like to pick up a lawn more within the next month.

I grew up on John Deere so I do prefer Green. I am interested in a striper kit though. I would love a diamond pattern in the back yard. Is that possible with the Deere's? I don't see the striper kits anywhere. I looked at the Deere's at the local dealers I think I am leaning towards the 155c with the 48" deck. Any comments or suggestions?

I get an employee discount on the Deere's so that also makes me prefer those models. But which one and the striper kits are what I am looking for help on. As long as the 155 shows to be dependable...

All your advise is welcome and TIA

Thanks,
    Watz

2. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I too like john deere but check out the x300, a bit more $$ but a better mower and engine. Simplicity has rollers on all of there mowers so that would leave a nice stripe. Or, get yourself a thick piece of rubber, a mud flap or something similar and rig it to be a "mud flap" on your mower, it will lay the grass down. I saw this trick posted a while back.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

a simplicity regent would be good, or even a broadmor.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Look at Lesco 48" walk behinds. They are a good solid mower, perfect for a home owner. Basically a Scag design made by another manufacturer. Same steel, spindles, engine, etc. They're even green. One will run you about $2500 out the door.