new home owner looking for help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by maui8, Sep 24, 2004.

1. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

hello everyone.
    sorry for posting in this place for i dont know where else to put this thread. i am a new home owner and looking for suggestions on how to maintain/cut my lawn and hopefully start a small business on the side after i get some experience.

anyways, i look at lawns in my neighborhood and they seem all clean cut and everything, whereas my lawn, my edges arent trimmed cleanly, i have dead grass laying ontop of my grass and im not sure how to correclty do this. right now, i have a weed wacker and lawnmower.

1. now do i use the weedwacker to trim the edges along the sidewalk/driveway? or do i need another tool.

2. whats the best way/easiest to clean up all the grass left from the weedwacker/mower? do i buy a blower/vacumm combo? or do i buy one of those push cart things that sweep the grass into a bag. im not sure the name of it.

3. now speaking of the dead grass left on top of my lawn( i use the mulching option of my lawnmower), should i now use the bagging option? rack the dead grass into a pile, and then shovel it into a bag? or use the vac/blower tool?

sorry for such lame questions.

thanks for the help.
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

1. If you have alot of grass and dirt over all your edges, best bet is to get either a walk behind edger, or a stick edger. Run that along all your walks and drives and you will get that nice sharp edge you are looking for. You may have a fair amount of cleanup if you are overgrown alot. Once you cut in a good edge, it can be maintained easily by turning your trimmer and zipping along the edge every time you cut.

2. A hand held blower is your best bet for cleaning up clippings, just blow them back into the yard. It's your preference if you want a blower that also converts into a vac.

3. You shouldn't be getting much 'dead' grass with a mulching mower. Are you mowing frequently enough? Is your blade sharp? Is your deck clean?
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Homeowner my suggestion is that you work partime for a LCO this will get you ready for your own.
  4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Hire a landscaper...they should know exactly what to do and how to do it.
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Looks like your in New Jersey, may want to try working with Bobbygedd, he's always looking for workers.
    He'll show you how to leave clumps on the lawn and get away with it, miss your scheduled day and get away with it, mow over childrens toys and get away with it, mow around the garden hose, dog crap and other debris and get away with it.
    Pretty much, just how to get away with it and keep your clientele. It's amazing, I would like to spend some time myself working for him, so much could be learned.

Sorry, kinda got off topic there for a minute, but I would have to agree Green Care about working for a LCO that could show you the techniques that you could benefit from. Then you could decide if it's something you really want to get into before you drop your money on that initial investment.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you're not mowing often enough. Weekly mowing should prevent the dead grass/clumping situations. And do buy and edger for the driveway and sidewalk. You can maintain it with the trimmer if you want, but IMO an edger just does a better job.