1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Home Owner - what is this in my grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by monk707, Mar 12, 2013.

1. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

I'm a new home owner and have around .75 acres. My understanding is grass is st. Augustine and the lawn has been neglected for years but there is still some good covering. I am wanting to try and revive it without the need to sod the entire yard.

My question is what is this "weed" which seems to have infested the entire yard and can it be killed? It seems to almost be shrub like in nature and the stems are very hard, spidery and difficult to pull out. It is not like a clover.

See pics....looking for suggestions on how to clean this mess up. I've been coming home at night and taking a 3 foot square area and pulling by hand!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

4. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies. I think it could be chickweed. I looked it up on Google images and some of the images look close. Some of them looked a bit different. The tough part about what is growing there is it's not easily pulled. The roots are very tough and the stems feel like they have bark almost. There are other things growing I can easily pull out, but not this. It grows almost like ivy and spreads over a large area.

I've started using the fertilizer / weeder below with first application done today.

Thanks again

[​IMG]

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I "think" it is a variety of "toothwort". You need to post a close-up picture of the flower and a side shot of the whole plant so i can see the leaf arrangement.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

7. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Hi Rototilling, there was no post?

To everyone else....I'll have better pictures tomorrow night of the leaves and stems from the side and not buried in the grass

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I think that's exact rototilling's way of subscribing to a post. You need to try to post a picture of the flower, that will really help with identification.

9. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Ok - here are some better pictures. It looks to me like there could be 4 different items growing but have similar properties.

I'll do as 4 separate posts so they cab be commented on individually.

Plant 1 - Pic 1
    [​IMG]

Plant 1 - Pic 2
    [​IMG]

10. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Plant 2 - pic 1
    [​IMG]

Plant 2 - pic 2
    [​IMG]