New Home Owner - what is this in my grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by monk707, Mar 12, 2013.

1. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

plant 3 - pic 1

[​IMG]

2. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Plan 4

[​IMG]

3. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Pic 1

[​IMG]

Pic 2
    [​IMG]

Pic 3
    [​IMG]

4. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

Before tossing my specimens in the trash I was taking a closer look at them. The one with the small yellow flower almost reminds me of a miniature rose the way the stem is. All of them have hard stems with bark. They all sit low in the grass and cover wide areas and seem to have an "ivy" sort of tendency of spreading with many roots into the ground. Every one of them are a pain to pull - mean they don't come right up like clover does.

5. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

I tried to edit my message and could not after some 10 minute rules passed - so posting again then I'll be quite.

Before tossing my specimens in the trash I was taking a closer look at them.
    1. The one with the small yellow flower almost reminds me of a miniature rose the way the stem is.
    2. All of them have hard stems with what looks like bark. Some of the stems will snap like a twig.
    3. All sit low in the grass and cover wide areas and seem to have an "ivy" sort of tendency of spreading with many roots into the ground.
    4. They all grow in patches and looks to be covering between 30-40% of most areas.
    5. These 4 or 5 different ones are fixed together in some places while they each seem to have there own main spots they've taken over.
    6. In some places and are mixed in with the st. augustine grass / turn in other places.
    7. Every one of them are a pain to pull - mean they don't come right up like clover does.

Also wanted to mention I'm located in South Florida - Ft. Lauderdale area. The soil is sandy under the sod and the entire yard had been re sodded maybe 6 years ago and supposidly looked great. Many neighbors yards are similar to mine but others are in great condition. we have irrigation which runs every other night.

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Carpet Weed or possible Smooth Chaff-flower would be my guess on this one. I am not applicator of lawns so it is only a guess but maybe look up those names and see if they match what you are seeing in person better than what I see on the picture.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Common Beggarticks/Hairy Beggarticks?

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

This is not a toothwort, it sure look's like a beggartick.

IMG_1749_zps1b4478d0.jpg

9. monk707

monk707 LawnSite Member

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking that stuff is going to kill your grass too. Someone more familiar with st. augustine need's to advise you, but be careful with advice from the web, read the label before you put anything on your grass, it's ultimately your responsibility. Good luck.