New Home...starting over

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by davisdh, Dec 11, 2007.

1. davisdh

davisdh LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a new home (well, new to me. The house is actually about a year old) and have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. The previous homeowners let the flower beds go and weeds took over. They were VERY overgrown with multiple types of weeds. After a couple of treatments with Roundup and various weed killers, everything is dead.

Onto my question...This will be my first landscaping job and i need to know where to start and what the best approach to starting over would be. There are actually a few plants that i would like to keep and i am not opposed to digging them up and putting them in planters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need a plan, starting with what it is you want to do or want done, what it is you want to accomplish here beyond the simple "good look" goal, and if that doesn't work perhaps you have an end result in mind you can work with. Looking at pictures might help, I'd be for checking out some Home / Lawn / Garden resources.

Friends can help, perhaps you're a regular customer at a nursery which could help as well.

There might be some other ideas but too much beyond that I'm afraid you'd have to call a local company that does designs for a fee.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Whatever you plant remember that it will grow so what looks nice and spaced out now might not be like that in a year or so.

4. davisdh

davisdh LawnSite Member

I apologize...i should have made myself more clear. Since it is beginning to get colder here, i want to complete all of the groundwork so that i can plant everything in the spring. The only problem is there is ALOT of work that needs to be done before i am anywhere near ready to plant anything. As i said before, everything is grossly overgrown right now and i am a little confused on where to start. I initially thought about digging everything up and starting from scratch. This would mean i would have to dig up the existing mulch, weeds, etc. Another thought i had was to pull up the weeds i could easily get to and lay some plastic down everywhere in an effort to "smother out" the weeds and then when springtime rolled around, i would plant everything and cover the plastic with alabama lava rock.

Basically, i need suggestions on what is the easiest/most effective method of completely wiping everything out of the existing flower bed (except for the plants i want to keep) so that i can start with a "clean slate".

I will try to snap some pics this evening and post them as well.

5. davisdh

davisdh LawnSite Member

Pics are below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Pull everything out, rake out the old much, till it up and start over.

7. davisdh

davisdh LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!

I have been talking with co-workers and they mentioned pulling out the weeds i could get to and putting down a weed barrier to smother out the rest. Do you think this would work? It sounds much easier, lol.

8. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would also take everything out you don't need (including the bricks as they are not needed) like shrubs, mulch, and then til everything good. If you just throw stuff over the top your grade will be to high and not look right. If you want to add rock dig down 2-3" next to sidewalks and gradually slope dirt up to foundation. My biggest pet peeve is seeing plastic or weed barrior thru the rock and next to the walk. Trim your plastic close to walk then take a flat spade and tuck remaining plastic in. Any questions just ask. Do it right and you will not regret it! Good Luck!

9. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

Are you planning to put in a sprinkler system or do you already have one? before to start on the beds.

10. davisdh

davisdh LawnSite Member

I actually also plan on installing a sprinkler system over the winter. I have designed it for drip lines through my flower beds.