New Homeowner - Mower dilemma

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by leftout, Mar 13, 2007.

1. leftout

leftout LawnSite Member

I need the opinions of some professionals! Just bought a home with approx 2 acres, fairly flat, fair share of trees. Thinking of a ZTR but not sure if I should buy a new residential, new commercial, or used commercial ZTR. What criteria (if any) would warrant getting a residential unit (say Toro Z5000) vs. my other options? Also generally speaking, what is the life expectancy of one vs. the other. Thanks!

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

A Z for a homeowner should last forever ....I would get the best one I could afford.

3. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

the best you can afford and maybe the biggest deck you can afford. with regular maint. you could run one for years.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

a residential ztr will last you 10-20yrs, depending on use, maintenance, etc..............what is your budget?????? how fast do you want to get done???1hr, 2 hrs.??????? sure you can buy a commercial mower that will last longer than a residential mower, but does the cost justify the difference???? some will tell you to buy used commercial, but you likely won't get a warranty and you won't know the type of maintenance and usage/abuse the machine has experienced. a good homeowner machine, and yes there are several brands out there, will likely come with a 3-4 yrs warranty..........just some random thoughts.........

5. leftout

leftout LawnSite Member

Thanks guys - The Toro Z series might be what I need. If I stay with the Timecutter Z line, it seems the only difference is in engine availability. Is it worth it to spend the extra $700 for the Kawasaki vs. Kohler engine?

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

I say Kawasaki all the way IMHO .

7. leftout

leftout LawnSite Member

Sorry - forgot to mention that my budget is at/below $4000.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

4K on a new Z puts some limits on what you can get .....Are you looking new or used at this point ?

9. leftout

leftout LawnSite Member

Looking @ new - according to the Toro website a Z5040 with 21HP Kawasaki has a MSRP of $3699.00

10. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

You might also want to consider a Simplicity Javeline. I don't have one myself, but I do have a Regent, and the cut is tough to beat...:cool2: