New Homeowner needing serious help with nightmare lawn!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kbreese, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kbreese

kbreese LawnSite Member

I realize this is mainly a site for people in the business but i couldnt find a decent site for homeowner lawncare, so hopefully you guys don't mind. We just bought the house a few months back and the lawn is a mess. It's like 50% weeds of all different types. What happened was all the grass got burnt one week in the summer and it all died and what grew back was a mess. Plus as you can see there are tons of bare spots too.

What should I do at this point??

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Hire a professional to fix it. Plenty of qualified folks on this board from the Long Island area.

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Ditto. Save yourself a lot of headaches and have someone with the tools, skill and knowledge do the job. You will get revolutionary results in one season. I've found that when a homeowner tries to handle this stuff themselves, it takes several seasons to complete due to, too much fertilizer, not enough fertilizer, fertilizer applied at the wrong time, low grade fertilizer, too much pesticide, not enough pesticide, pesticide applied at the wrong time, low grade pesticide, wrong mowing height, not enough water, too much water........etc.
    Anyway, my point is that so much can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.
    I don't think homeowners should be allowed to apply pesticides without a license to ensure they have the training to handle these materials.

And what caused it to die? Heat, not watering? Chemical? I think it took more than a week to get in this shape.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Your lawn is very thin and weedy. I too would recommend a professional for a complete renovation. It'll come back much quicker and thicker.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to Contact Paponte (Paul Aponte Landscaping). He's a LS member and I believe he does work in your area. He does have a website too I believe.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

thats disease damage i see the rye is still alive. looks like it way dollar spot or leaf spot. round up everything ,sod cut it, rip it out, top soil reseed with a good mix of tall fesque.

7. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

If your coming to this site you probably want to do the work yourself.

That said...

Do a soil test first. I grew up in Deer Park so I know the soil pretty well and you should have some good soil to work with.

Then take joshua's advice:

"round up everything ,sod cut it, rip it out, add top soil/compost reseed with a good mix of tall fescue".

Fertilize properly, I sub mine out because after years of trying I've realized the pros are much better than I am at it and it's worth the premium to get a skilled pro to do it. Additionally, having to children I don't want my garage full of 1/2 bags of fertilizer. Then, if you'd like after two or three seasons of seeing what the pros are doing to keep your grass green you can take it on yourself.

Good luck.

8. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

I would hire skidmaster. Here is what we would do. First I would sod cut the entire area. Have Pascuale and Domingo get it all into piles. Next, I would put down my coffee milk and go to town on all the piles and remove all the debris. Depending on the sq. ftg. I would calculate the amount of fresh 3/4 screened loam, spread and grade. Once this is complete you are ready for hydroseeding. A blend for your area and conditions will be formulated. Good luck.

9. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

too much work.Spray the broadleaf with someyhing with 2-4-d then mow it to the ground and verti-cut your seed of choice,Try to use a machine that has blades on 1 inch centers and cut seed in two directions keep wet for one month and presto.Done it hundreds of times

10. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

My lawn looked like that a few years ago. I cut it real short, rented a walk behind slit seeder, bought some seed and went to Lesco for fert. I've been on Lesco's fert program for 2 years now and my lawn looks great.

I'm sure you're aware u could hire someone to fix it otherwise. :dizzy: