New HomeOwner Pressure Washer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by T.Wells, Mar 19, 2009.

1. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Well the pressure washer has been used twice and it works just fine. I like the new Exmark Lazer Z in my garage a lot more though :)

2. BSI

BSI LawnSite Member
    from TN

thanks T. Wells...I may have to get one of those at $399 also...far as I can tell, that's a pretty new model but the reviews are good so far

congrats on your "other" new toy!
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

what kind of pump does the craftsman PW use? i was eyeing those in my craftsman club flyer. like others have said, it is the pump that should be the major factor in chosing a PW. CATs are great.
    the problem with buying a used PW is that many HOs dont understand that leaving a PW running with the hose hooked up can burn the pump. the water needs to be moving through the pump to keep it cool. leaving it standing idle for more than very brief time can ruin the pump.
  4. BSI

BSI LawnSite Member
    from TN

I just swapped a $400 trailer for a brand new in the box Northstar 4000 psi/3.5 gpm. it's a $1000 unit so I'm not looking anymore :)...Northstars seem to have good ratings, it has a Comet pump I believe...anybody have a history with them?

5. BSI

BSI LawnSite Member
    from TN

well, here's a good laugh for Fri night...I was going to get my new Northstar going and asked a friend to pass the bottle of motor oil...he did and we were talking and I then relized I was pouring PUMP OIL in my new Honda engine

I probably put about a 1/4 cup it and then immediatley flushed it with the quart of motor oil...I'm assuming it'll be OK?

I'm going to run it a little tomorrow and change the oil again...anybody got any thoughts?
  6. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, no problem at all.

Using it in place of motor oil would be bad because there are differences in additives, but since you flushed it out immediately there is just a slight residue.

BTW, Its a good idea to change the oil after the first few hours anyway. Those small motors don't have filters and and there will be some sparkle in the oil from break in. So if it was me, I'd change the oil again in 5 hours.
  7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Dewalt is a good machine. I have a commercial one and works great. Look for Gallons Per Minute which is important... more so than the pressure