1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New homeowner

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by maxandboo, Apr 28, 2004.

1. maxandboo

maxandboo LawnSite Member

I am a new homeowner of a new home. My back yard is about 1/2 of an acre and it is just weeds. tall weeds...
    In the next few years we want to put in a pool but not right now.
    We have to do something with our lawn very soon ( I live in a homeowner ass.)
    We are thinking of laying concrete (and eventually building a patio over it) and laying sprinklers and sod???
    Is it very expensive to do this and is it a good idea just to start of with this and can it be done?? the weeds are getting very tall...
  2. threeputts

threeputts LawnSite Member

maybe you could mow the weeds so your home owners assoc wont cite you.
  3. maxandboo

thanks for the reply.I wish i could just mow it.they are very strict and you even have to have your landscaped back yard reviewed before you do anything...
  4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I dont understand your question. Do you want to know how to get rid of the weeds?
  5. maxandboo

Well yes sorta... Yes just getting rid of the weeds is a good start and i am thinking of buying weed killer. But i also would like to put in a sprinklier system and grass...but not sure....I have never owned a house before so really have no idea where to start...looking for ideas...
    thanks for your help...
  6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

What options/suggestions has the HOA provided? That's your first step. Also check with your County Extension Agent for good advice (your tax dollars at work) or for getting a comprehensive soil analysis (a good starting point). My local agent noted that I had several areas of native buffalograss and advised just mowing (no watering or fertilizing) to allow it to take over. But this took several growing seasons and I wasn't concerned about aesthetics or HOA rules. Good luck!