1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Homes & Builders

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Ready to take it to the next level and attempt to talk to some local builders about doing the irrigation for new homes they are building. Any help on how to approach them, special pricing,volume discounts?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. Don't do it unless you can live with 90-120 days without a check...builders love guys who want to do their work. they usually go through them like underwear....put some out of business. Happens all the time here.

Unless you are talking about custom home builders that only do 4-6 per year....that I would do. Tract home builders will eat you alive.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Target reputable builders. Present them with a professional package, one that they can sell the homeowner. We do design/install for several builders. They give the homeowner a landscape allowance to work with. We have had no problems with payment and do around 5 homes a month for just one of the builders we work with at an average of $15,000.00 per home. This is for a full install though, not just irrigation. You may have a hard time selling just irrigation.
  4. Thumper0504

Thumper0504 LawnSite Member

Agree with SprinklerGuy. You better be ready to get down in the mud when it comes to pricing. Loyalty is absent from their vocabulary...they will go with another company for $50-$75 less on the total price for a six zone system. They also love to backcharge, even if somethin happens like the fence guy comes in and augers a hole right through one of your lines.

Not saying dont do it, its just very tough.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ive done worked for Pulte and Ryan and they can both shove it and these were development entrances, models home on down to packages the home owner was buying miss billing by 1 day wait another 30 and this is after the job foreman signed off which took forever. I'm not waiting 60 to 120 days to get payed when I have 20- 30k in materials I already paid for.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone needs to adopt the tow truck method of billing...Ever need a tow? It is Cash, Visa/ or Certified check, or no hook up....

WE bill every third day, and expect a check by the fourth, or, we put a 10 day stop order on the property, (California law) and if we don't get paid by the 7th day, we lien the property. This is company policy, no exceptions...

Needless to say, we don't have a cash flow issue. If everyone did this, builders would do what we tell them....
    As a company, we will do anything a client wants and needs...I will be damned if I let them tell me how they intend to pay us...

If they want waivers before the payout, that is simple too...You sign a line stating "This waiver shall be null and void if payment in full is not recieved by____________", and then date it. That way, if for whatever reason the payout falls through, and the property gets foreclosed upon, you have not given up your lien rights....