New Honda 21" Twin Blades....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Mar 23, 2005.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Just bought a new Honda HRC 216 mower last week - the one with twin blades that mulch. It's pretty cool. The day we got it I tested it out on some fairly tall grass (about an inch higher than we'd normally probably mow). We set it at our normal cutting height and started mulching. The grass was a little wet. It had rained the day before and the lawns around town were still damp. The new Honda ate up that lawn quicker than I could blink. And I couldn't see a trail at all. I was very impressed. Even at full speed (4 mph, vs. 3.5 mph on the previous models) it was mulching perfectly.

It's a pretty nice little unit. Going to buy another one tomorrow. Then 2 more within the next month or two. I think this year we won't be doing much bagging. I've never really seen a commercial grade mower that could mulch very well in our wet, northwest grass. But this one did the trick. Those guys are Honda are pretty sharp.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you have some pics of the twin blades?

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Welcome to the Honda mulching club. You will see a great improvement in turfgrass quality and if using the right fertilizer, one that does not kill soil microbes, you will be able to cut down on your fertilizer rates considerably. I use the two blade set up on my modified old style 216 and have found rain performance bagging is also excellent, rivaling my highlift bolt-on.

I have seen the new Honda, but have yet to buy one since my modified's mulch so well and I waiting for the Exmark 26 to make it's debut.

What heights are your wheels (F/R) set at in your testing? If things follow suit you will find you get better mulching results with front wheels set higher as the old Hondas set level have at least 1/2 inch deck rake, which is terrible for mulching. You can check this with a John Deere blade height checker, these cost about eight dollars. Is the new machine any lighter? Please keep us informed on your mulching results and performance.

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

I agree 100%. These mowers are eating up our first cuts of the season when the grass is wetter and longer than usual. I love how they are able to pack the catcher when really wet and how clean they are on the concrete. There is almost no mess after cutting and going back to the trailer. The replacement blade, just the big one is expensive though, $24.00 cdn. The only thing that I am not fond of is the front of the cutting chamber. That steel baffle doesn't take much of a beating. We have picked up three so far this year, I am waiting for field reviews of the Exmark 26" before I get the other couple I need.

Scott

6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Do they really work when the grasss is wet or damp? How much are these?

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Jim, I have the same one as I bought it when they first arrived here this year. I personally was finally able to use it on this past Friday and yes it did mulch much better than any Honda I have seen before and think the twin blades had a lot to do with that. I also noticed that those blades were really "turning and churning" the grass. But I was a little disappointed in that in some minor wet grass (Fescue) that really was not that tall that I did see some, not much, but still some clumps, which I didn't expect.

I agree it is a good mower and a vast improvement I think in the mulching department and we will be using it, but I will probably not buy another one as I personally think my Toro's still do better in mulching.

8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have one too....as my brother said "wow, a push mower that's actually fun to use!"

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a sweet looking setup with the blades