1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Honda vs. Suzuki on Proline?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hope this hasn't been addressed yet. I've been running my Honda HRC for a few years now and it has been a terrific mower with no major problems whatsoever. It's time for a new one this year. The few areas I do mow with my trim mower are mulched, and after reading several threads here I discovered the Toro sounds like it's the better choice for mulching, so I'll give it a try. I stopped at the dealer today and he told me my choices were the Suzuki 2-cycle/Kawasaki/ and new for this year the Honda. He says almost all the commercial guys use the 2-cycle. The one yard I'll use it on a lot has steep banks around the building. The Suzuki seems as though it would be more suited to this (weighs a little less-no oil run off-the mechanic also told me he liked the crank stiffener brace on the Suzuki). But, I know Honda makes a killer engine. The Honda would be $150 more. I'm just a little leary of a 2-cycle, because it's different I guess. Can you guys give me any pros or cons on the Suzuki? I'm sure you'll give some good info.

Thanks, Rick
  2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have nothing but good things to say about the Suzuki. We have two of them and use the heck out of them. We have many small gated yards that they are used on. The mulching is great. They start on the first or second pull. We just keep changing the air filter and thats it. They seem to go forever on a tank of gas. I think I have mowed 7 or 8 average sized lawns on a tank. It is a three speed and is built like a tank. Just put a gator blade on and you will like the results when it comes to mulching. You will get spoiled not having to mess with oil changes. Great for leaves also.
  3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

SUZUKI, great motor,got one over 4 years old,used everyday,never misses a beat.
  4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

With the hills the two stroke would be best but for me I like the honda best.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I, too, will be buying a new Proline this year. I think I will go with the Honda. I am getting tired of the fumes and smoke from the 2-strokes, plus the emissions. The little Honda motor cant be beat. They are great.
  6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 2-cycle toro 3 speed that was 12 years old.....never missed a beat I regret throwing it out. IT always started never gave problems I did have problem with it not wanting to cut wet tall grass it would bog down. But this thing after 8-10 years it would need a tuneup and I have not had any work done on it. It was neglected for 8-10 years no changing spark plugs or air filters. Still ran good!
  7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

My only experience is with the Suzuki's. I also have 2 of them. I have heard good things about both the Kaw and Honda, though. I mostly see the Suzuki on the 21" Prolines in my area.
  8. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

I bought my Toro Proline with a Kawasaki 6.0 last year and was told the suzuki model is not being made anymore. What's up with that? It has been a great mower so far, run's strong, the only issue I really have with it is the front wheel adjustment being a pain.

I saw another guy with the 2cycle suzuki and thought he had his engine at half speed. A lot less noise, but it seems like it might not have as much power. Although I have never tried it, just sounds like it. I would be reluctant to have a 2 cycle mower myself.

My ex boss who is a very large contractor had the suzukis and he told me that he thought the kawasakis were even better and was going to upgrade to those. So I dunno.

Also, does the Suzuki have the blade clutch?
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it has a BBC, and I would go with the Suzuki.
  10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Suzuki is a bulletproof engine. I have 2 of them. They start and run strong. I am not sure about the Honda on the proline but I do know that the Honda engine on my sprayer had a oil sensor that had to be disabled because it shut the engine down on sidehills. Hope Toro thought that one out. The other thought is that the Kawi probably has a pressurized oil system does the Honda? That would be a big factor if you are going to be mowing on hills and don't want a 2 stroke. Good luck.