1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New House - need some landscaping ideas!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by user123, Dec 9, 2006.

1. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

Just bought the house in the picture. 1.5+ acres. Yard is pretty dead. However, it is virgin for my own design.

IDEAS WANTED! See pics

Pic #2, I am visible standing along back fence line. Pic taken from the "front" of the backyard, at the fenceline separating "backyard" and "frontyard"

Thanks guys

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

corn and cows my friend,con and cows!
  3. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

I have a new son, who will need lots of yard. Thinking about some sort of cement or packed gravel walking/bike trail along the perimeter of the inner fence line, the rest Bermuda grass.

But again, I am open to ideas. Ideally, junior can go out back, and run, play, exercise, throw the football, etc etc, even "camp" with a tent at night.

I know that is shocking in today's X-Box world, but Dad has other plans for his son. :)

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.
  4. crab

camping? no way,well good for you.it depends aside from camping, what you want to do with the space, witch you have a lot off .sorry about the spelling.
  5. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

that is the part I am having trouble with....what to do with it. The previous owner considered the first half of the back area the "backyard" and just keep soil and weeds on the second/back half of the area.
  6. crab

first you need trees ,i imagine the wind howls thru there,second creating a gravel run sounds a little prison like to me. how about how you want to use you're space,IE cooking, entertaining,you're
    son will only be using the space for a very short time and i imagine you can play ball on dirt anyway.
  7. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

Texas, Things are different out there it takes a little different style of landscaping sometimes.
    When I lived in the pan handle above Amarillo a 25mph wind was a daily breeze and 60mph was a windy day.
    We had an 80 degree difference in temp.in the same day 85 down to 5 .
    You have a nice place 123, Great state!
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of different topography in Texas. There is a big difference between San Antonio and Amarillo I am almost as close to my In Laws in middle Georgia as to El Paso and live in East Texas where climate and topography is similar to that of middle Georgia!!
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You aren't going to have much of a yard with out irrigation even Bermuda will be difficult to get started. I would concentrate on putting a pot load of live oak and burr oak trees in for starters.
  10. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Yes, I am going for Sprinkler system then prob some Bermuda grass in April/May if the temps are good. Doing some study on Bermuda grass (I am a nerd...) and learning about it now.....

FYI we have septic tank under the front yard. Water well out back. Water is from underground aquifer, and not counting the electicity to run the pump, is "free water"