New House, New Lawn, New Weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FASST LN, Feb 21, 2006.

FASST LN LawnSite Member

My family and I just moved into our brand new home at the end of November. After stretching to afford the house, we didn't have the money to go with sod and thus settled for the standard 'straw, seed, and fertilizer'. To make this short, the straw that was used was loaded with hey and all of the seeds have grown weeds (wheat?) in our yard. I spoke with the builder and they were skeptical that this was the case. They came out to our house and agreed that is what happend. They asked me to mow the lawn very short to cut back the wheat and they would come the next day to reseed (note: they use a spreader and not a powerseeder or anything of the like). I asked them if the grass would choke out the wheat and they said it would, however, I don't think that is the case and I don't want my brand new yard to have weeds/wheat throughout the yard because the landscaper (hired by the builder) used an inferior product.
    So what do you guys think? Will the new grass choke out the wheat or should I request they pull everything up and start all over? I don't want to be a pest, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of either. I had planned on getting the yard power seeded in March and then hire our Lawn Dr. guy to treat it regularly afterwards.
    Thanks for any help!
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would request it be redone immediately

FASST LN LawnSite Member

You mean have them pull everything up and start all over?

Since I'll need to sound somewhat educated about my opinion to the builder, as it will constitute additional costs and time to the builder, can you provide me some details as to why I should request this?

Thank you so much!
  4. tungsten33

tungsten33 LawnSite Member

Never trust the builders to do anything right when it comes to the lawn! They're cheapass bastards.

Better do it yourself and be done with it.

FASST LN LawnSite Member

Well, because of the money it would cost me to have an independent landscaper complete the job that I’ve (essentially) already paid the builder to do, I don’t want to go down that route if I can help it. What I’m looking for are opinions on the builder’s solution to add more seed to the lawn and whether I should push to have them tear up the current vegetation (essentially getting a Bobcat to re-grade the yard) and start all over.
  6. tungsten33

tungsten33 LawnSite Member

Makes sense i guess. I think tractor works better to grade the lawn than bobcat. Basically tractor drags boxblade around.

You can tell your builder that you will report to BBB or whatever if he doesn't do it right next time. That will scare me.