New house, yard is jacked up.. suggestions? (pics)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by flashsplat, Jun 19, 2010.

1. flashsplat

flashsplat LawnSite Member

My wife and I bought this house about a year and a half ago, and now that we've got most of the internal stuff fixed up, I'd like to work on the yard.

From the door of my house looking out.. it looks like it's going to be a lot of work. Can you look at these pictures and tell me what the cheapest, yet most cost effective method would be to make this grass green and luscious? We've got 16k sqr ft. of this crap :p - and we don't have a whole lot of money to invest into the project. Thanks!

I do notice that it is extremely dry. Currently, i don't water it. I figure there's no point at the moment. I do plan to install an automatic sprinkler system though I am a total noob in that department as well. I just hear that can help me with that.

Basically what i want to know is if this yard is recoverable or if i'm going to have to til it, and plant all new seed or something.

Any help/Advice would be great and greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
  2. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

ReSod is probably going to be your best option
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

put your irrigation in first then worry about the lawn
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Those trees on the corners are getting too big. Plan to get rid of them in next year or two. Grass mainly needs water and fertilizer.
  5. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

All that needs to be torn out, or tilled in along with organic ammendments,,,Re seed to save dough,,SOd will be more labor intensive an cost more,,,but it will appeal to your instant gratifacation side,,,
  6. 1966vette

1966vette LawnSite Member

You need a new lawn!

1. Spray roundup Aug 1st & Aug 15th – to make sure all the weeds are dead
    2. Water yard heavy last week in Aug to allow for easier tilling or plugging.
    3. Till top 3” or plug in 4 directions, seed & apply started fertilized Sept 1st
    4. Use only the Best KBG seed & double the amount specified on the box
    5. Water everyday
    6. Invest in high quality hoses and sprinklers
  7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Nice starter home! Do you have any idea what type of grass you have? Do as Still water suggested and get in your irrigation. For time being lawn would benefit from any type of even watering system--even sprinklers on a hose. Your lawn can be fixed but warn you--it will require a lot of labor. Starting by adding at least 1/2" of humus or organic material to give those stolons somewhere to root. Those weeds are minor--don't take any advise from Lowe's or Home Depot people! If you decide to move ahead--just write. I'm tired of typing a long list of instructions and guys "Thinking too much trouble" and do something else.
    You have centipede grass which requires a Buddhist ritual as a good friend says. Luckily you have two such here and one that is even somewhat warlock. I'm through Columbia, SC every two weeks and Augusta is just a hour away from there.
  8. flashsplat

flashsplat LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the replies! Here's some direct responses:
    Couldn't agree more. I plan/hope to rip all of that out infront of the house and plant something.. What i'll plant exactly i dunno. Any suggestions in that regaurd?

I'd most likely go with the reseeding, becuase i know sod is pretty labor intensive and i'll be riding solo on this project :p - What is a good, cheap (cheapest!) "organic ammendment" that i can apply over the top of the grass before i till?

Thanks for the detailed explaination! I was a bit confused by line 3: "...seed & apply started fertilized Sept 1st" - The "started fertilized" part got me. Can you explain?

I certainly appreciate the time line provided. That will help greatly! - I figure when I till it, that'd be a good time to try and install a new sprinkler system aye?

Gotta run for now.. will be back later for more questions! Thanks guys and Happy Fathers day!
  9. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I highly doubt you want to use Kentucky Bluegrass in Georgia.

A warm season grass would be more appropriate.
  10. 1966vette

1966vette LawnSite Member

Yea, KBG most likely will be hard to keep in the hot climate.

However, the yard is small & if you water it daily & keep it from going dormant in the hot GA weather it will provide a superior lawn. I have seen photos on the web, maybe this site, of KBG in Atlanta, GA with a sprinkler system & it looked awesome. There was a comparison, pic provided, between his KBG lawn & a neighbor’s warm weather grass, I do not remember the type, & the KBG blew it away. The KBG lawn had a much darker green color & it is a much finer blade grass. Both lawns were pampered with irrigation systems & all the fertilizer a lawn could possible need.