new house...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ericlemson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

I live in the upstate of SC. I am closing on my new house on Sept. 26th. They are installing Bermuda sod in the front yard and fescue seed in the back (no, I cant have it any other way, thats what they will be doing). I am looking to install an irrigation system by the first couple weeks in October. My questions:

1. Should I wait to install irrigation until the Spring? I am leaning towards now as I have the money set aside and I want the sod to take well before it goes dormate.

2. This late in the season, what are some things I can do to make my yard beautiful come spring/summer next year?

Thanks as always...

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and do it now, if you do it now the bermuda will fill in next year and if you have sinking spots you can go ahead and fill them in over winter. My guess is the fescue will not take well...just your luck as the builder is going to dump the cheapest crap seed out on hard ground and cover with straw so you wont be out much to trench in some lines.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the new home by the way....

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, being from Ohio, I cannot be an authority on bermudagrass, but I CAN tell you that if you have the option of having the irrigation system installed at about the same time the seed and sod will be installed, you should definately go for it. 'New' installs of these systems almost always have less problems over the long run than those installed in 'established' ones.
    I will address your turf question for the FESCUE SEEDED areas only:(I have a fescue lawn too) The seeding season's winding down here in Ohio, but you obviously have more growing season to go in SC. Find out what type of fertilizer the builders are using (if any) on the seed. It should be something like a 16-24-12 or a 18-26-10. The middle number, the phosphorus, being the key ingredient in promoting growth and rooting after germination. If they don't use any, you need to buy it. A 50 pound bag of 18-26-10 would have 26% phosphorus, (thus at a recommended rate of 1# P / 1000 sq ft) it would cover 13,000 sq ft), or a little more than a quarter of an acre.
    For the seed: Water, water, water very shallowly and frequently UNTIL you begin to see germination and a little growth and then begin to water less frequently (every few days) and much more thoroughly and deeply. Mowing: SHARP blades are VERY important for newly seeded lawns!!
    Let the turf gain some height if you have some time this fall, but the very LAST mowing of the season for fescue should be relatively SHORT. Good luck.