New Hunter PGP Ultra ???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Just got this email. You guys heard of this???

Not that I care too much about Hunter stuff. I am a RB guy. But I thought I'd just start a conversation about these heads see what you all thought about their new "upgrade".

Here is the text of the email I got:
    ---------------------------------

I am happy to announce that Hunter has accomplished an almost impossible task, we made the reliable, time-proven PGP better! While doing so we have incorporated several features that have been requested by many of our customers for the past few years.

This new PGP Ultra has the following improvements which were recently introduced in the I-35, then even more recently in the I-25 Ultra and I-40 Ultra, all of which have proven very popular! The new PGP Ultra will have the following features, listed from top to bottom:

NEW! Thicker, safer rubber cover. The bump over the screw is gone. More like the I-20 style, completely flat on top.

NEW! Headed and slotted nozzle retainer screw, so either a Hunter wrench or screwdriver may be used.

NEW! Eight, square-topped BLUE nozzles with four LA nozzles, same as the PGP and I-20 BLUE nozzles.

NEW! Fully adjustable from 50-360 degrees. When adjusted to 360, continuous counter-clockwise rotation.

NEW! Non-strippable drive mechanism with Auto-Arc return, same as the I-25, I-35, I-40, prevents damage when the turret is turned by vandals.

NEW! Improved dirty-water tolerance on the internal gear drive, same type as all I-Series, better for harsh water environments.

NEW! Innovative, exciting packaging. The PGP-04 heads will be in a 6-pack style box with nozzles.

NEW! Three-year warranty, a little added bonus, which most likely will never be needed.

PGP ULTRA Line

I realize youre now asking, Whats the price of this new PGP Ultra?, How do I order my PGP Ultras? and, So what is going to happen with the PGP? Heres the plan:

The list price of the PGP-04 Ultra is $21.95. Its our plan to sell-up from the base PGP-ADJ to the PGP Ultra. In 2009 you can get a sprinkler that has far more features than before at the same price as 2008! Now that we have this Ultra, selling PGPs will once again be fun! To place your order, simply order PGP-04. Easy and pain free!

The PGP-ADJ will still continue to be produced, along with a limited number of ADJ models with pre-installed nozzle models. Our goal is to eliminate all models of the current PGP except for the basic PGP-ADJ and PGP-ADJ-B. All full circles, check valve and reclaimed ID models will be the new Ultra once stock of the current models is depleted.

Please take a look at the attached PGP Ultra brochure. As always, please feel free to contact me with your questions. I look forward to sharing success PGP Ultra stories with you! Thank you.

Click to download the PGP Ultra brochure

Thanks,
    Steve Hoveln
    Product Manager - Rotors
    760-591-7329

----------------------------------

PGP-ULTRA-Line.jpg

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

The list price seems steep.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

6-pack box = Stupid

4. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

There is a different thread already started talking about the new head.....

New Hunter Rotor Head

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have a "street price" yet?

Six-pack is indeed weird..... why not just a ten-pack or even dozen?

Or a bakers-dozen with a bread recipe? Or better yet, you get an ACTUAL loaf of mini-bread like from Outback.

6. JimLewis

Well street price is going to depend on what your individual discount rate is for Hunter products. And that depends on your relationship and volume with your supply house mostly. I think we get 50% off list price for Hunter stuff.

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

So that's a "no"?

I don't look at "list price", don't even know what it is for other heads. I look at what I actually pay. So if a case of PGP's work out to $8 or $9 a head, I'll compare that to what I get charged for this new PGP Ultra.

8. JimLewis

Ok. But the price you pay is based on list price. You may not realize that or have ever discussed list price. But that's what your distributor is basing your rates on. They're all based on a certain % of list price.

So at our 50% discount from list, I'd pay just under $11.00 for that head. I don't know what everyone else here would pay. But that's our rate.

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

You should be getting a better price for heads. I only do service and get a better discount than that.

10. JimLewis

If I ever used any Hunter heads I probably would get a better discount than that. But since we buy maybe 20 a year, I don't think they're going to work with us much. I get the same discount rate on Hunter that a lot of companies in my area get who do some pretty serious volume with them get.

I get a better deal from RB of course, since I am a RB select contractor and that's what we install 99.99% of the time. So obviously you get a better deal on what you use.

But it's also a regional thing. In the Northwest, Hunter is pretty dominant. They don't have to offer very big discounts to the contractor because they have a stronghold. They don't really care as much if they lose a contractor or two here and there. They can afford to. And same with the supply houses.

But in some areas where irrigation isn't as big of a market and supply houses and Hunter need every last customer they can get, of course the discount rates are going to be more competitive in those areas.

It's all supply and demand. But I have close friends who work at several supply houses in town and our irrigation tech. used to work for both the Horizon branch and the Ewing branch here in town for a few years at each place. He assures me our discount rate is in line with what they are giving other companies our size.

But again, this is all fairly local too. What someone can get as a discount rate in one part of the country doesn't always equate to what someone else can get in another part. Show me a company in my area who gets a better discount rate on RB or Hunter and is smaller in terms of company size or yearly volume and I'll start to get a little concerned. Pissed off, even. But I don't think there are any.