New Hunter Products???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 16, 2008.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

OK... I don't feel like doing a search since I've been on sabbatical from the site for so long... so maybe you have discussed this already.

Has anyone used the new Hunter MPR40 body designed specifically for the MP-Rotators that holds the PSI at an optimum 40 PSI instead of the 30-35 PSI that their Pro-Sprays and I-Sprays tend to do?

Has anyone used the new Hunter blue I-20 nozzles that are supposed to give more of a "rain curtain" effect (like the blue nozzles for the PGP)?

Comments or direct me to the thread please.
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive seen the new spray bodies for the MP . Havnt used em yet.
    The blue nozzles work real good I keep a few handfulls in the truck. Use them on full cirles. It is only a 6 nozzle rack instead of 10. Our systems around these parts run on less water then what appears the norm in other parts of the country so we use a lot of low # nozzles , not sure I could do matchprecip with a 6 nozzle rack.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We've had the opportunity to use the MPR40 bodies with the MP-Rotators and they match up thread-wise so much better. Seem to do the job quite well. We've even experimented with using the body with Hunter spray nozzles and they work fine. We're hoping to be able to stock only the MPR40 bodies to cut down on what we stock. I'll post again after we get more of them in the ground and have a longer period of observation.

We're just now turning on our controllers for the season... that means all hell will be breaking loose shortly.
  4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We tried using the the Hunter blues and luv 'em. Try to use them all the time now.

Gotta get me some of them MP40.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I look at the Hunter blue PGP nozzles, and think this is the second revision in the nozzles that reduces radius, and with a glass of head-to-head Koolaid in hand, requires one to install more heads for a given area. Hmmmmmm.
  6. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth LawnSite Member

We have found the opposite true of the blue nozzles. We find they actually throw farther. 4 of our customers have had us change all nozzles out because they liked the look of the height and curtain the blue nozzles gave.
  7. Wet_Boots

Blue is about the curtain. The curtain sells. The listed radii are less than the red PGP nozzles, and some of the red nozzles don't throw as far as they did a decade or so ago, when they created the single-slot nozzles for the 5, 6, 7, and 8 sizes.

I asked a Hunter rep about the nozzle change back then, and whether they were chasing Rainbird (since I was of the opinion that Ed Hunter got it right the first time) and the rep just smiled.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Didnt they change them to improve close in watering? I remeber when they first changed them hydroseeding close to the head was getting washed away. Probably still does, but Im used to it now.
  9. Wet_Boots

Close-in watering is something of an illusion, because that close-in coverage area is so very tiny, compared to 30-40 feet away. The Toro Super700 nozzles pointed their close-in water upward, and the tech details explains it's that way to avoid washing seed away.