New Husqvarna or Bobcat ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have kinda of thing going on here all of a sudden. I am going to buy at least one more (and maybe 2) 60-61" ZTR for this season and would normally buy a Toro but all of a sudden something else to consider has been thrown in the mix. I have a relative that is now working for a dealer that carries only these two brands in their Commercial line and I have been offered either brand I wish at cost as a "family employee perk" so to speak. Even though this dealer is about 3 hours away there are several Husqvarna dealers and at least one Bobcat dealer in my city also so service or parts would not be an issue as I would probably use the local dealer for service/parts and would be loyal to them for that. So since I have no first hand experience with either of these brands I was hoping that some of you guys that may could give me some advice. I know that Husqvarna has a new deck this year and that they also have quality makers engines but that is about it. I really know nothing about the Bobcat line. I DO NOT want to compare any other brands to these two ZTR's as that is not the issue here at all. I have eXmark and Toro and know those brands so I only need input on the Husqvarna and/or Bobcat should I decide to take advantage of this offer. Thanks!

2. Bob-Cat#1

Bob-Cat#1 LawnSite Member

I personally love the Bob-cat brand. As far as I'm concerned they are making the highest quality product going. Have you checked out their new Predator Pro's yet? They feature a 33HP Generac engine with 12cc pumps, and an awesome decal package. The top speed is listed at over 12 MPH. Awesome mower!

3. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I had a Husky 61 26hp fuely and it was very fast, but scalped alot and I went through 2 hydro pumps in 30 hours! If you have big and FLAT surfaces, the husky would be great... pumps were covered by warrenty so I dunno. I worked at the husky dealer at the time and got a hella deal on it so thats why I went with it. Hope that helps.
    Aaron

4. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Get the Bob-cat We have a 0ne 52" Husky and that thing is terriable bad pumps, and it uses alot of gas. don't know much about the Bob cat but I have been told they are good running machines

5. TGramstorff

TGramstorff LawnSite Member

Last year i purched a Husqvarna 23hp 52", it was on sale, last years model. I have the older deck. It is a good machine, the only thing i had problems with was the collection system, if ur going to use it without a collection system it is great. The collection system can be made to work well, if you are getting the collection system let me know i can tell you what i did to mine to make it work better. I am happy with my purchase.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I Have 5 Bobcats And 1 Husky.............there Will Not Be A 2 Husky.............scalping Problems, Plus They Seem To Loosen Up And Start Falling Apart.....

7. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

The Husqvarna are made by YazooKeyes (out of Kansas I believe?). Don't expect the same kind of endurance from their lawn care products that you get with their lumber products.

I standardized on Husqvarna String Trimmers, Edges, Hedge & Tree Trimmers and Blowers last year (great pricing,for otherwise outrageously expensive equipment). Rated some of the best by Consumer Reports. Wish I had standardized on Echo. You just have to be cognizent of things loosening up all of the time. However, folks are amazed at the power these tools have.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I am only considering their ZTR and not any of their handheld stuff as I use Echo, Stihl and RedMax there. Thanks.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would probibly get a Bob Cat because Textron is a more stable company than Electrolux and the parts would be a lot easier to get for the Bob Cat. Also from what i've heard Bob cat's are hard to beat.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My first ZTR was a Bobcat 60". It was one tough machine, and made a lot of money for me. I would have purchased another, but, the dealer here qiut selling them. The Husky might be a risky purchase, as the parent company is dumping the whole landscape equipment line. It is no telling wheather Husky will be sold, shut down, or who will end up owning it.
    I would go with the Bobcat.