New Hustler burning my grass.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by yote, May 10, 2005.

1. yote

yote LawnSite Member

I have the 27 hp Kohler on a Z...new machine only mowed with for 2 hours. A couple of days after mowing my yard I noticed 4 brown spots. I wouldn't automatically assume it was the mower, except the 4 brown spots are exactly in the same spots where I stopped the mower for a couple of minutes. Obviously the engine was so hot it burned the grass when I stopped.

I searched the forum and found a thread here about the same issue:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=73391&page=3&pp=10

Back in August PJ mentioned something about contacting the dealer to get a shield kit... is that still the best advice? Is this still an issue with the Hustlers? Shouldn't they just install the shields at the factory on machines with Kohler engines that run that hot? Other than that I love the mower, but I hope my grass comes back out in these four spots!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have your dealer call the factory and get a heat shield kit, the dealer can install it for you at no charge, this will take care of your problem.

Pj

3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

PJ, does Hustler plan on installing the shield on new units? I'm guessing not, since this has been a known issue for some time and you seem to be dealing with it on a case by case basis.

I guess I just would like a better understanding of Hustler's position.

Thanks,
    Stephen

4. yote

yote LawnSite Member

will do...

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will have to inquire to find out, the last I heard we were taking care of these on a individual basis.

Pj

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

They set me up with a heat shield on mine because of the burn issue. It will burn moist spring grass in a very short time! The shield will not prevent burn, but will give you a bit of time before it will burn. Do not expect that it will not burn with the shield. Mine will burn with the shield if it sets for a bit. Be careful during leaf season, it makes for some nice fires on top of the shield. Not saying this to make you afraid, I love my machine to death!!! I just bought a Super Mini with the 27 as well, looking forward to having to install a shield on it too. They are so great of a mower I will put up with the hastles that the burn issues provides. I hope they look into a fix in the future.