New Hustler Diesel 54" OBSOLETE ALREADY??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HydroGearHead, Oct 31, 2007.

1. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

Seems Hustler has a new diesel 54" out. Has a Yanmar 750cc engine on it. My dealer say he won't order it and won't stock or sell it becasue he doesn't want to work on the enigine and can't under warranty. He said the old Cat diesel was a nightmare and sending it out to Cat for repairs never worked well and if he can't fix it in-house he won't mess woth it. Plus I read on another forum Yanmar already quit making the engine but my dealer wouldnt confirm that either way and said he hadn't seen anything official from Hustler and didn't ever go on rumors. SO?? is it true the Yanmar engine is obsolete already? Anyone seen this new diesel? I love my hustlers but seems like they have a bad reputation when it comes to diesels....comments?? I need info....the 54" diesel was one I really could use in smaller areas.!!!

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When I first heard the news months ago, I was unimpressed with this choice. A small diesel on a 54" machine?

Anyway, the ironic thing I'm thinking is that the most popular place to get a Yanmar worked on is your local Deere dealer. They've been using Yanmars for years now.:dizzy:

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder if it was the same Yanmar diesel Dixon used on there 52" machine? Bottom of page... http://www.dixonmowers.co.nz/contractor.html

I do think it is a waste putting a diesel on a 50 odd deck but its up the the engine manufacturers to build a vert shaft 28" or so hp diesel, so Hustler can put it on there SZ frames. There are horizontal shaft diesels out there but need to mule or shaft drive the deck.

If Hustler do come up with a diesel (not the huge cat they have now) I hope they put 26" wheels on it. I have enough problem with the 28efi with rutting as it is!

Fortunately I have a couple more years before I would buy again so will see what happens. I will give Hustler credit for having a go at these things though, just wish they didnt change some things they have!(longer frame for one)

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This Yanmar has been around since the late 90's.

With only 20hp and 32lb/ft of torque, it will likely be challenged by even a 54" deck.

I didn't see any talk about this being introduced on the Hustler line. I hate Hustler's new website BTW.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

And really its only about 18HP.

The old 2v78 was about 20HP, this new one has cast iron heads, this one is called 2v750.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you want a REALLY GOOD diesel in that general size, go with the Grasshopper 321D/52" machine. This has the 3 cyl. Kubota diesel and it is a perfect match for the 52" deck. Not a real big machine, not very heavy, and has nice wide tires to minimize rutting.